Do I have social anxiety?

rawrt

Hi

I'm really confused if I do have social anxiety. Just to give you a bit of background on me, I am a 19 year old guy who has suffered with this now for as long as I can remember really.

My main two problems I have is blushing and hyperhidrosis (sweaty hands::(:). I think having these two conditions have made me develop some kidn of anxiety in social situations.

Firstly, with my blushing - it might sound very trivial but when you go bright red in front of a person/a group of people the feeling is just horrible then you cant help but think/know you've gone red which just makes it even worse then you come across as some kind of person your not.

For example, in my job I work in a fast food outlet just as a part time thing to pay for my car insurance etc while I'm at uni. As soon as I see friends/family and even strangers which I feel are judging me I will turn bright red. This also happens if I serve a female for example who I find attractive, this is so awkward. And to top all this off, I have hyperhidrois - so whenever I get nervous/blush my hands start sweating like mad.

This whole thing has made me avoid many social situations I'd love to get involved in - but just the thought of going red makes me feel sick. I've also pretty much failed my friench module at uni cause it involved alot of speaking out load to the class, and to other people on a 1on1 basis. The first lesson I went to I hated it as I just blushed constantly in a room full of strangers, I litteraly couldn't bare to go to any more lessons - my exams and coursework for it are due in, in a couple of days which I just wont do.

Oh and I've never had a girlfriend, cause when other people would flirt with a girl when you get a signal for example, I'll do the opposite of flirting - turn bright red and try to avoid the situation. The thought of going through this and then even silly things like holding hands with hyperhidrosis just.. ergh I really dont know it just wouldnt happen.

Anyone else suffer like this? Do I have social anxiety?

Would like to hear from anyone. Sorry to ramble on, but I'm not in a very happy state at the moment, pretty sick of my life!

Patrick26

I'll never for the life of me get why people get so depressed over blushing and sweaty hands. I get both but i don't care, i find it's pretty normal and i just go with it even in big groups. Nothing to be ashamed of.

mikebird

Banned
You got it all bang-on, completely right.

I've always been that way. Too subtle for me to see it, until recently.

I don't like to see a status of 'doomed'. It's good to see the light, face up to the horror, and take action to put it to bed

definate a social anxiety symptom... should i say congratulations u made it :)
or welcome to the club..
hmm.. but anyways u will find comfort here because we all seem to struggle same thing..

i also blushhh i can feel the heat in my face burning and i have a thin skin, so redness shows...

if you are ginger.. (red head).. no offense, but if u have red face.. it wont appear as blushing, it would look normal.

Patrick26

Also now that you know you have some symptoms of SA do not blame your misfortunes on them. Know you can get better with help, you just gotta want it. You gotta have that fire in you that makes you tell yourself "I want to change", and start getting into steps on getting out of your rut. Remember at the end of the day, you only have yourself to thank, even with all the support you get the ones giving you the support are what pushed you to improving yourself, you did the work, the supporters just gave you a nudge in the right direction.

Kiwong

Yes, I think you suffer from social anxiety or at least extreme shyness. You are certainly not alone.