Did your parents talk to you about sex?

COALPORTER

My parents never talked about sex, dating, friends or girls ever!!
Not one word was ever spoken on any of this, and to this day it
really pisses me off, because I think the fact that they didn't played
a big roll in my psycological development. I felt like I must be
a freak or something, and that was why they wern't talking. I waited
from the age 14 for my parents to start talking and they never
did and I was to afraid to bring it up. I knew my parents would
be "mad" at me if I tried to go them with questions. It really hurt
be deep down inside and made me feel that they didn't really
love me. Later on, in my 30's, I tried to ask my mom for advice
on women and she totally freak out and now won't even speek
to me. I guess she would rather go around telling people that I've
never had a girl friend rather than try to help me.I just can't understand how a parent can be so cool, crewl and useless. Even my grandma
tried to give me advice and I love for it, but it would sure be nice
to hear it from my own mother. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

eggbe4thechicken

i know how you feel, my parents don't find it odd that i've never had a bf, they prob don't care :cry:
my mum has called me fat on a number of occasions, and this has caused me real self esteem issues. I'm 5ft 6" and 124lbs, so i'm not obese, but yeah, really dislike myself. I find it v hard to talk to men, always feeling like they wouldn't want to be talking to me, i'm too ugly,etc. Also i am v shy, and i can't at all make conversation :cry:

Kinetik

One time when I was 13 and doing the dishes, my mother came up next to me to do the drying up and was like "Alex, do you know what a period is?" right out of the blue. I just went "yep, thanks" and the whole thing kind of died, which I'm really grateful for. I have the kind of parents that won't let their kids watch a couple kiss on TV - they'll change the channel and mutter how disgusting it is.

Thelema

No but I've learned about everything from friends/tv/internet. Thats why friends that are girls are so great...you can ask them questions about girls and actually get the real answer and not just something your guy friends think. Especially young guy friends...they know nothing :lol:

Some parents are just way too uncomfortable with it. Sometimes because their parents were uncomfortable about it....I can't understand it but most people can't understand SA either.

Your mom freaking out may be because she doesn't want to see you as a man and just wants you to always be her little boy. Probably talking out of my butt tho...

mienaino

My parents didn't bring it up. My parents also didn't let us watch television, and we lived in a remote area of a country where we did not speak the national language. My siblings and I were the only people below the age of 20 that I knew, growing up. As a result, I didn't even know what sex or any of those things were until I was about 15 or 16 and found it on the internet. I was, of course, confused, but also fascinated. My parents soon discovered, and banned my internet access until I eventually went to college. It isn't my psychological growth which I think it stunted, but my psychosocial growth, since it is to this day something that I cannot bring up, in any way shape or form, with anyone, outside of a relatively disconnected setting like this. Also I think it has impacted my social progress in a relationship when anything of the sort becomes a potential factor. That is to say, whenever I am attracted to someone, I hide it quite well, permanently. It's hopeless. But I don't blame my parents for it.

Foxglove

eggbe4thechicken said:
i know how you feel, my parents don't find it odd that i've never had a bf, they prob don't care :cry:
my mum has called me fat on a number of occasions, and this has caused me real self esteem issues. I'm 5ft 6" and 124lbs, so i'm not obese, but yeah, really dislike myself. I find it v hard to talk to men, always feeling like they wouldn't want to be talking to me, i'm too ugly,etc. Also i am v shy, and i can't at all make conversation :cry:

I know this is off the subject here, but someone who is 5´6" and weighs 124 lbs is by no stretch of the imagination fat. That's totally ridiculous. This is a totally sick society that dictates to women that they must look like a walking skeleton or otherwise be thought of as fat.

Chrysta

I have never really had "the talk" but I have had conversations with my mom or sister about sexual things and it is well received. I have learned a lot from tv and movies though. There is a guy that kinda likes me and we are affectionate with each other only to the extent of hugging and playfully hitting each other and stuff like that... but he almost kissed me once.. hehe. But sometimes I get very nervous just thinking about the fact that I'm getting older and boyfriend relationships are going to come up and I don't know how well I can handle it. Being physically close to a guy and having commited a relationship where I have to spend a lot of time with someone when I am so used to being by myself.

pinkputter

haha I found out in the 2nd grade, by another boy.

yeah corrupted at an early age, I think so.

My parents I guess thought i'd eventually find out and never told me.

They prob. didnt expect me to find out that early though

turqoise

my mum brought up having periods when i was about 8 i think. and when i got it they celebrated it. i guess it makes sense, as it means all your reproductive system`s in place, but at the time it was soooo embarrassing, esp as we`d learnt about it at sex ed at school, as if it was something to be really discreet about.

as i`ve grown up, i`ve come to realise that everyone goes through the same stages in life, and it shoulnd`t be something that`s taboo to talk about if you`re needing accurate info and experiences.

with sex, my parents sat us down and gave a long talk warning both my sister and i away from boys, because they only have one thing on their minds. my mum quietly asked about whether i was taking contraception too.

I learnt most details through sex ed, friends, and boyfriends. even hte other month i found out fo rhte first time ever that unless guys release sperm it can be really uncomfortable for them...the number of times i teased a boyfriend without realising this...man, i felt bad.

One ex said his parents gave him a book that explained it all when he was really young, and were really open about it..and i`m thinking maybe that`s not a bad idea. for me, i think i eventually pieced together what sex was all about, and i had it drilled into me that it was not something to be taken lightly, which Im grateful for. However, they didn`t tell me how to tell the difference between lust and love - and i`ve struggled with that all my relationships. Plus, because my dad is really protective (he disowned me for about a month when i secretly moved in with a boyfriend at 23), and i know both of them are uncomfortable about tlaking about anything to do with feelings, I just can`t bring it up with either of them.

I don`t know what it`s like in other families, but i hope when I`m a mum our family will be able to bring up kids who can make informed decisions on everything including stuff like this.

hmm, sorry that was a long ramble...

xkiss_me_nowx

well, my mum and dad are split up,i live with my dad but im not close to him like i am with my mum, i get all my advice like that off my mum, i can talk to her about anything. she gives me advice on anything i ever need on advice on, even sex, were totally comfortable with it.
im so glad i have a parent like that

Moonie

I never really had a sex talk, but I am pretty graetful for not having one. It would be a little awkward. I don't really think a sex talk in necessary anyway. I have an older sibling and I live in a pretty sexed up society, so I know the basics and I have known them since I was a kiddy.

There was some points where I felt like my mom was giving me a sex talk, but it seemed like she was unsure about saying it and it was sort of jokey.

haze

i never really had a talk with either of them about anything like that i dont live with one and the other took the kind of "ill solve the problem if their is one" approach but of course because he isnt observent he nevers picks up on any problem and i never ask because 1. im shy and 2. he wouldnt be any help because i dont really have problems with things like sex or anything like that and i really just found out stuff like that for myself because i have been using computers from a very early age.