Did you feel better before you new SA existed?

Generical

Im kinda just thinking out loud here and will probably disagree with this in a few hours but i feel that after realising there is a name for this and that i have it, it kinda makes things worse in a way. I mean after reading symptoms and stuff ive suddenly noticed lots of my behaviors could be down to SA whereas i would of just shrugged them off before.

Anyways i really wanted to go to uni this year (hopefully do it next year) but i was late in finding out what i had to do so when the time came to get references from teachers it was later than everyone else so i was kinda nervous as i was late and no one else was still doing it. Ive suddenly realised why i was nervous and its almost like i fall back on having SA and almost use it as an excuse to why i dont do things. It makes me feel like its a physical thing and you cant change it, which i full well know isnt the case as it really is all in your head. As soon as you think your different you'll become different! What im trying to say is that from accepting it ive kinda gone backwards a little bit and in all honesty it can be just a phase in your life if you have the power to overcome it, the length of the phase is upto you really. Also one step could be to stop writing on this forum and get out somewhere!

Not that this forum isnt useful and everyone is well supportive its just if your always around it discussing it you find it harder to get over it. Its just like when psychiatrists and councillers develop mental illnessess from beign around there patients. With this particular phobia its best to forget it, not think about it and walk out the door!

Sorry if i sound like a complete prick :?

flake__

Well since finding out yeh, it has started to get alot more of a grip!! Whereas before i didn't know what was going on, thought i was just being stupid, and did alot more things.

But i'm glad i found it. Cos once you've found out you can take steps to find a way out. Yeh i did more things but i hated it and i never understood why. Sooo many things in my past make sense now!

When i first came on here i just wanted to vent and rant. I think people need to do that! Only then once you've got it out of your system can you start to think, well i'm sick of thinking like this, and cling to positives, and look for ways out.

I think realising is the first step to a 'cure', or whatever you want to call it. If you never realised, you would have no chance of getting out of it.

Tiptoe

Hi G

Good question. In my case, I just battled on through life for so many years thinking I was just this or that, had some flaw in my personality, unable to get along with people, oversensitive or even blaming others for "judging" me etc etc etc. As soon as I read about others who suffer the same things, and that some people were re-programming their thinking and getting better, I was so relieved and now have hope.

Because I have a name for my problem, I work hard against those habitual feelings. If a social thing is coming up, instead of going through my list of excuses, I realise that is symptomatic of SA to try and wriggle out of it and instead I try to say yes I'll go (btw this is still new for me). I am sure that is going to be the only way I can beat it - by changing my thought patterns. Of course I could be wrong, but I am going to give it a go.

Also, when I think people are looking at me or judging me, I remind myself that the feeling is purely symptomatic of SA and try to let it go immediately - just dismiss it before it takes hold (I know, easier said than done, but it can be done). Now I feel it is in my power as to how I react to things and people instead of before, when I felt victim to other's judgement, words etc. So I think you can use the knowledge to help you instead of blaming it and falling victim to it. But it does take hard work - and for some people it may be easier with the help of a therapist - I don't know.

Regarding the example you mention about your Uni application, it is natural to be nervous in many new situations socially and in new environments. Applying to go to Uni is a big life change - you are bound to be apprehensive. I'll bet that everyone going throught the process had a degree of nervousness too, whether they were late or not.
SA causes an exaggeration of those normal anxious feelings, so it is all a matter of degree of intensity and how those feelings negatively impact your life. I find it is helpful to just accept the feelings for what they are and then try to let them go (takes practice). Obssessing over our every feeling is another symptom it seems!

Um, I have never heard about health professionals developing mental illnesses from their patients! Tell us more....

I agree that being out and about is better than being on the computer obssessing, but for me it is sometimes helpful to read about other people with the same issues. My motto with forums is "Take what you need and leave the rest". Oh yes, and also give back where you can.

Wishing you success in beating SA symptoms and for your future at Uni and beyond.

Tiptoe

Generical

hehe thanks for the help. Yeah i think the main reason knowing what it was messed me up a bit is because i had already got over the worst of it. I mean im never really nervous about any event unless its big, which would be just normal and i can talk to pretty much anyone without too many problems. I guess it just reminded me of it and i couldnt really get it outta my head. But yeah i am glad i know what it is because it does answer a lot of questions.

lol yeah i heard about psychiatrists developing mental illnesses in psychology as all their clients problems would really get you down. We had a school counsiller in one of the lessons just to answer some questions and she said that she had to talk to people higher up about their clients problems just so they can get it outta their head. Dunno what happens to the people the counciller talk to must be a never ending chain hehe.