Did mom acted the wrong way?

Dark angel

Hi everyone! I wanted to ask your opinion on something. Recently some new neighbors move relatively across my house.(Mmm I think like 4 months or so... a family of four if I'm not mistaken) and there was a rather uncomfortable situation. My uncle usually comes home to help my mom to get the cleaning of the house going. Usually he helps to mow the lawn and other things. So most of the chores he does are outdoor. One day while he was working.my mom received the delivery of the couches she send to retouch the covers because they were lacking color and starting to scratch off. Days went by and suddenly when my mom was going out on her car, the woman next door stopped her. She eventually told mom that she saw when the sofas where deliverd in the truck and that she loved the color that mom chose. She also told her that she have seen my uncle working usually outside. Eventually she asked mom if she could give her the number of the person who did the work on the couches because she owned some sofas in bad condition as well. Mom said it was okay and she gave her the information. Then we were told by the upholsterer that he went to the neighbors house but she really didn't send her sofas to repair. She just receive the estimate of how much he would charge her. That strike me as odd because she was very insistent to get the number. Anyhow, she started to do some renovations for her house and in the midlle of it all my mom was also doing some minor changes at the same time. She changed the old garage door. When the installers came home the neighbor also noticed and again she asked mom for the number because she was planning to change hers due to the massive renovations she was doing to her home. This time around mom told her she didnt have it with her because it was my brother who knew the contact and he wasn't home. My mom lied about that because she didnt felt it was right that the neighbor was constantly "spying" on everything that was done at home, so she didnt want to be rude by saying flat out "no". Days went by and the same people who changed the garage door at home came along to take measurements of the windows because mom is also planing to get them change as well. The installer was outside doing his job and he noticed when the lady next came along to where he was(she walked from her house to the front of mine) and she asked him if he was the same guy who work on the garage doors, he confirmed it. Apparently she told him to please stop by her house once he was finished here to again receive info on the estimates. When he was done, he didnt go but rather told mom what happened and she wasnt happy about it because she felt she was taking attributions that weren't granted and stepping in front of our house without being invited. But mom just ignored the whole incident. Again a week or so passes and my mom is on her way out but mom notices that the neighbor's daughter(who was in her garage) made a signal to her mother. My Mom is driving slowly and she sees the neighbor running behind the car 'till the next block and asking her to stop. Mom rolls down the window and again she asks for the number. Mom tells her the same thing again but this time she uses a rough tone, the woman says ok and wanders off. Nothing happens for a while until days later mom is at home while im working and she notices that an older woman is calling at the door. She goes out and the woman standing outside tells her that she loves the garage door and the color she chose. This unknown lady start asking mom the same question that the neighbor did .Eventually she touches the garage door and asked mom what material was used. My mom looks irritated and a bit hesitant because she hasn't asked for her permission to touch something that is not hers, moreover when she is a stranger. Eventually she tells mom that she's friends with our neighbors, so mom realized that her visit wasn't just coincidence. The neighbor sent her in order to see if mom gave her friend the damn number. Mom told the unknown lady the same old thing she told to the neighbor. The old lady gave mom all her info. so that mom could her once she got a hold of the number. From then on, the neighbors has stopped basically stalking but for some reason I always feel uncomfortable when I pass through their house because now the woman next door doesn't even look on our direction. She has finished her renovations and has her house done beautifully, which is good for her but what made mom angry of all the previous situation is that she says that envious people tend to do just that. They want exactly what you have, they are constantly watching your every move to see if they can beat you or wish you the worse and I get all of that. But I wonder if giving her thr number would've done thing less uncomfortable. Another side of me says no, because if that was the case, then she would've kept the same pattern going and still watching our every move.
Sorry for the long and possibly dumb and ridiculous situation post but for some reason I feel guilty and wanted to ask your opinion on the matter. What would you have done?

w*n*c*a*m

My honest opinion? It wouldn't hurt if your mom just gave the number. I think your neighbor just asked for the estimate so she can budget her money in case she avails their service. Didn't you think that she admire your mom's taste rather than assume that she's just being envious?

I think you judged her too quickly. I mean, she just asked the second time and you've already concluded that she'll be a persistent spy or something.