Diagnosis and certainty

Earthcircle

I have gotten a large number of diagnoses from psychiatrists, and I have often heard them contradict each other. For example, one psychiatrist will say "You are schizotypal, and not schizoid." Another will say "You are schizoid, and possibly schizotypal but probably not."

I am 49, and I have failed in therapy again and again and again. (I've been told that this is because I unconsciously think that therapists are my father. But it would seem that I have no control over that.) I am thinking that if I got the right diagnosis maybe I could be treated successfully. But, at this point, I need more than a diagnosis. I need certainty. I must know that the diagnosis is correct.

My question: what do people on this forum do to be certain that a given diagnosis they receive is accurate?

Lavinialuna

I stopped trying to get a diagnosis from the outside. They got it wrong so many times and sometimes it actually felt like an insult. Having a wrong diagnosis on your medical chart makes other Dr.s treat you differently, and since I have health issues and need Dr.s to treat me I try to avoid labels. Only I know me on the inside so I do a little research online if I have questions. I guess if I could be guaranteed to find a good therapist I would try it, but I have had some really bad luck. Each time you start a new one, it's like starting over. Annoying.
Of course this is what works for me, and I realize that others may desire to have their questions answered, I just happen to live in an area with some really crappy Dr.s. I've been seeing them for many many years with no good results. A person has to draw a line somewhere and decide when it's doing more harm then good.

bsammy

psychiatry is not an exact science, it is very far awa from that...you are wanting a diagnosis, acting like it will somehow fix your problem??that is confusing to me, as you could be diagnosed with 3 diferent pds by 3 different doctors..many PDs have traits that overlap..

stop looking for a concrete diagnosis as it will not fix your problem..just look at the things in your life you wish to fix and work on those..thats all you can do..

Earthcircle

Thank you for your replies, but I can see how diagnosis could matter a lot. Some conditions are practically untreatable or incurable. Others are not. In reflecting on my many years of failed therapy, I naturally want to know why I failed. If I have an incurable condition, I should give up and devote my energies elsewhere (e.g., to writing books). If my condition is curable, then I might want to keep working on it. So I think this makes a difference.

I mean, I had a psychoanalyst who spoke of curing my depression. But I've also had diagnoses such as schizoid personality, which is considered by most not to be curable. I need to know what my problem is.

Felgen

Make sure it's a psychologist and a psychiatrist with a wide experience, and make sure that the team will test you very comprehensively. Back when I was screened for Asperger's syndrome, the psychologist suspected this disorder after the first hour, but she couldn't jump to conclusion before properly testing me, and getting the opinions of several other professionals.

Earthcircle

How am I supposed to know? They ask questions, and then they say what you have. Is there some other way to diagnose?

P.S. I also had a clinical psychologist who thought I have Asperger syndrome.

bsammy

Thank you for your replies, but I can see how diagnosis could matter a lot. Some conditions are practically untreatable or incurable. Others are not. In reflecting on my many years of failed therapy, I naturally want to know why I failed. If I have an incurable condition, I should give up and devote my energies elsewhere (e.g., to writing books). If my condition is curable, then I might want to keep working on it. So I think this makes a difference.

I mean, I had a psychoanalyst who spoke of curing my depression. But I've also had diagnoses such as schizoid personality, which is considered by most not to be curable. I need to know what my problem is.

no personality disorder is curable...you can treat the symptoms and do as best you can at dealing with the pd, but the disorder itself is not curable...even if you do have a personality disorder that isnt curable, that doesnt mean u should give up..it just means you need to be realistic about what can and cannot be accomplished when dealing with your set disorder..

Lavinialuna

Those are some valid points :)

Earthcircle

no personality disorder is curable...you can treat the symptoms and do as best you can at dealing with the pd, but the disorder itself is not curable...even if you do have a personality disorder that isnt curable, that doesnt mean u should give up..it just means you need to be realistic about what can and cannot be accomplished when dealing with your set disorder..

I haven't always been diagnosed as having a PD. I've gotten diagnoses like depression, bipolar, social phobia, and GAD.

Earthcircle

Everyone knows Niebuhr's Serenity Prayer, right?

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

I think I need a diagnosis to have that wisdom.