Deleted.

jaim38

Email etiquette depends on who you're writing to. For instance, if I'm writing to friends and close family members, I am more informal with them. I usually put "How are you?" near the beginning of the email because it wouldn't make sense to put it near the end.

On the other hand if I'm writing to strangers, classmates, or colleagues, I am more formal. I don't use Dear but I do address them with "Hi [Name]". I also end with closings such as Cheers, Regards, etc.

BamanPiderman

If I write to my friends I don't bother addressing them or signing off (since I'm younger it seems way too formal, but for older people I'm sure it sounds normal). I might just start off with "Hey," and that's it. With close family I might be slightly more formal and sign off with just my first name, but it's not very often that I email family.

When I email a teacher I'm more formal, but I don't start off with "Dear Sir," I just start with their name, "Mrs So-and-So," and sign off with "Thanks," followed by my full name. I don't tend to ask my teachers personal questions like how they're doing, because I find that a bit weird, but maybe not with coworkers or classmates.

If you're going to ask someone a personal question I'd put it at the start, then move onto the professional stuff. Asking someone how they are is more of a conversation starter than anything.