Deep breathing problem

Hi guys,
I've a slightly different problem with my breathing. I've learned to take slow deep breaths when I was anxious and panicky, and I find it really effective to calm me down. But my problem is that I go through phases of a few days when I can only take deep breaths. I end up overbreathing and spending a few days really light headed and dizzy.
It's like, I take a slow deep breath.. And the next time I breathe I feel like I need to take another deep breath. And so on every time I breathe. And I try counting my breathing to take shorter breaths but I feel like I need more air!
It's annoying because when you're hyperventilating you take slow breaths to stop it. What do you do when you're already taking slow breaths?! I can't distract myself from it either, because every time I take another breath I start thinking about it again!
It's really frustrating, I'm missing college today and I just started back and am trying to recover from SA and it's hard enough without being light-headed and dizzy the entire day, I can't do it!

Sorry about the long post. Any advice appreciated!