Decision making

Sup Phyl

Does anyone else have trouble making decisions? Really mundane decisions?

I was staying with my sister, who is outgoing (contrary to myself), and for an hour I was pressured into making to a decision about what we were going to do in the evening. The anxiety brought me to tears in the middle of the street. I felt sick and craved alcohol (and I hardly ever drink), thinking of the situation and how frustrated my sister was getting I couldn't hate myself more if I tried. I felt so stupid getting so wound up over something so trivial but I physically couldn't bring myself to say what I wanted to do, for some reason no one believes me when I say I don't have a preference. Because I don't, in the same way I never have expectations.

Does anyone else have the same problem or had a similar experience? How do you cope?

crazypants

I get that way a lot. If I think too much about it, I can find too many pros and cons for either choice, even with really trivial things.

Sometimes I think I don't have a preference, but maybe it's just that making a decision either way is too much pressure and I don't want the responsibility. Like, if I say we should go to this movie instead of that movie, what if the movie stinks, and now I've ruined our evening!?! Uggh!

gustavofring

I think I have a general discipline problem. Really trouble even starting things and also finishing things. A lack of will and commitment to fulfill what I have to do.

Maybe that all stems from indecisiveness and maybe also a perfectionist streak.

MikeyC

I'm sorry you went through that, Sup Phyl. It could be one of those things that you need to change because making a small decision like that shouldn't be so difficult.

Having said that, I do have issues making decisions. Lately I've been getting better, but if it's where to go for lunch I will let my friend make the choice (to a point - I won't settle for seafood, for example).