Death Motivation

Boby

I've been thinking quite a lot recently about death and a bunch of thoughts came to my mind,especially about how it can motivate a person.So I figured I might make a thread about it.
Here's a few questions:
Does the inevitability and eternity of death motivates you sometimes?Does it make you wana experience more that life has to offer?Does it motivates you to do things that you would've not had the courage to do it otherwise?

I personally had some immense bursts of motivation right after I had some panic attacks when I acknowledged the fact that death is inevitable.The problem with those moments is that are short lived.I sometimes wish I could harness that motivational power,I wish I could live my life like every day would be my last day.

IMPORTANT NOTE:Keep religion and afterlife theories/debates out of this discussion.

MrSunday

Death makes me want to die sooner. Everything that I achieve will end. Everyone will forget about me. Meh whatever. I rather drop dead. Seriously, I wish I could snap my fingers and die.

planemo

The inevitability of death has given me a bit of a wake up call. I know I'm terrified of it, but I can't avoid it. I'm terrified of so many things, but death is the only thing that we all have to face. So in a way, it makes other people who have very little to fear on the same level as me, as they have to face it too. I may be odd and had a really bizarre existence but if a passer by walks pass my grave and the graves of others, there's no distinction between any of us. In the end the happy and the sad, the rich and the poor all end up in the same state. I was hoping it would help make me feel less inferior to others, as in the end we all end up in a hole in the ground. (well not always, but you get my point)

Boby

The inevitability of death has given me a bit of a wake up call. I know I'm terrified of it, but I can't avoid it. I'm terrified of so many things, but death is the only thing that we all have to face. So in a way, it makes other people who have very little to fear on the same level as me, as they have to face it too. I may be odd and had a really bizarre existence but if a passer by walks pass my grave and the graves of others, there's no distinction between any of us. In the end the happy and the sad, the rich and the poor all end up in the same state. I was hoping it would help make me feel less inferior to others, as in the end we all end up in a hole in the ground. (well not always, but you get my point)

Interesting point of view,never thought it that way.

Boby

Death visualizations are really powerful. Try it. Lie on your bed and imagine yourself being smashed by a mac truck. picture every aspect, down to the skip of your heart. Now visualize all the things you wanted to do, now you can't do them. then imagine all the useless things you did up until this point instead.

Just reading and replying to this thread has given me a sudden burst of energy. I feel so motivated for tomorrow, and for life again. Great thread Boby

Thanks and yeah I do that sometimes and I get immense bursts of motivation but it's seems that it's such a short lived moment,it never lasts.

Kiwong

I've been concerned about my future, I'm worried about my mortality, and the time I have left. Not so much about dieing, but the inevitable decline. I'm 49 now.

Panic attacks were also a motivation to me, they made me think I was dieing, and through that I realised how much I wanted to live.

Minty

Not really, no. I've always found death attractive. :/ It's just a dreamless sleep. I've never been afraid of it, just the pain that comes before.

Overload

I've conversed with the reaper a few times, once while lying on my bed imagining that I was full of cancer with no chance of surviving it. As with you, the feeling didn't last very long. It was a very liberating feeling.

Gidi

I've always thought death was a good way to end my problems but when I actually sit down and think about it dying and leaving all of my love ones forever, It kinda motivates me to work hard and try to fix my problems, I think death is a good motivation to me

Sometimes I think that because we all die anyway, what does it matter if I die now? But it isn't easy to die if you are a very fearful person. And never mind all the problems that creates, heh...

Sometimes I think because I'm going to die anyway, and life is random and as far as we know has no inherent meaning, I figure why not just carve out my own existence and to hell with society's expectations?

Does death motivate me though? I don't believe so...

Once upon a time it depressed me that we must all die. But that was when I was in a happier state of mind.

Now that I'm in a depressed mindset, I find it comforting.

Weird fact, that.

SocialMT

uhh it makes me want to do more and kick myself for not doing what i have not yet done. but i tend to not like taking with death some times, he is very depressing.

Littlewilly

When i was a kid i sometimes (very rarely but sometimes) had slight thoughts on when you die you just go on & on & on & it used to frighten me alittle that you don't know anything anymore after you've died like you didn't know anything before you were born (confused-good) but now im older (50 or so) it doesn't frighten me so much,why is that.
Maybe its because i don't like the society we now live in. The world is definately changing all around us,its losing its grip,there's no control,there's no care for us it seems.:confused: