Dating with Palmar Hyperhidrosis

yossarian22

I have craniofacial HH, so its really awkward when it starts up while just sitting at a bar or restaurant at around 70 degrees so theres absolutely no reason to sweat. The girl I'm with now, just started a month ago so it's been not too bad with the cooler weather, and only been out in warmer places that'd trigger my sweating from forehead a few times. Before her I was in a relationship for a couple years, and she didn't mind it too much cause she didn't want to go out often to crowded areas, which was great and she loved to hike and do things outdoors where if I started to sweat it wouldn't be awkward. That seems to be what works for me, is finding someone who is outdoorsy, and not the club going type since with my facial sweating its very very obvious and awkward.

So yeah, I think if you find people who aren't into going out to crowded areas all the time then you'll easily have a good relationship. Its really only awkward if you're dating someone who is very social and always going to social outings.

Sprawling

Been dating a new women (different than the one I previously wrote about above) since March. I slime her all the time me. She never pulls away and quite frankly doesn't care that my hands sweat. Not once has she pulled away while holding hands.

My advice is to date as you normally would if you were a normal with dry hands. I'm sure the odds are in your favor that your date will care less about especially if talk openly about it. Those who react you probably wouldn't want to be with any way.

Beccaroo

I started dating someone new this March for the first time since my last long term relationship ended. It had been awhile since I had to explain my HH to someone new and I was really nervous. Much to my relief, he did not care about my sweating. However, my HH can be sporadic and he hasn't seen it get "faucet-like" yet. I don't think he really understands the condition which makes me nervous for when my HH gets really bad, especially now that it is summer. I'm just worried he may freak out with the amount of sweat since he hasn't really seen it be that bad yet.

THeCARS1979

Hey guys... I have always wondered what everyones experience has been with trying to date with Hyperhidrosis. I'm thinking more towards Palmar Hyperhidrosis, but if you find it difficult to date with other kinds, please respond as well. How do you do it? If you've been honest with someone about your problem, how did you face it? Any awkward moments where someone noticed the sweat?

My experience with it has been interesting. I grew up without Hyperhidrosis, and never really had any guys interested in me. I was always jealous of all the other girls because I just wasn't as pretty or social. But then at sixteen when I developed HH, I have been shocked at how many guys have asked me out since then. I've gotten asked out more and more the worse my HH has gotten. Are guys attracted to girls that just don't care? It's either that or I evolved. Hyperhidrosis did help me to decide who I am. I dress the way I want to and I keep a strong image of confidence. The confidence was my way of keeping people away, thinking it would intimidate people. I've been told I intimidate the crap out of people, which feels better to me than sitting in the corner being vulnerable. But in all that, I tend to hate when people invade my space and decide to talk to me anyways. That's when it backfires.

Every time I get asked out, I get this awful feeling... like "Oh no, I have to go through this all over again." It's rare that I'm interested in a guy, but when I am its usually one that I know I can keep far away from me. But then if I ever talk to them, they end up having feelings for me and then I tell them I'm not interested, because I'm too scared to tell them about my problem.

Dating itself hasn't really been the problem, as long as it consists of many first dates where no physical contact is involved, or "friend dates" where the guy is totally interested but knows I'm not interested back. And stays around anyways just in case something changes. Anyways, you get the idea that guys don't stick around that long for me. And if I like them, well I'll admit it's heartbreaking because I usually end up pretending I never had and never will have feelings for them. I guess I'm just waiting for some guy to say "Hey, I want to be with you, please tell me everything about what's going on with you and I'll accept you for it." and then stay around to listen. That'll be the day.

Anyways, thoughts? Feelings? Anyone not had their first kiss because of it? (Yup... that's me, 21 and never been kissed). Anyone find a person who is incredibly accepting of you?

Id accept you and I wouldnt care , not because i had some form of it and was able to delete it through therapy but just because I would think I will understand you.

Well I'm coming back to the forum to update... It's been probably two years since I started this thread and I just kissed a guy for the first time yesterday. I've been pretty open about my condition with him thus far, but the crazy thing is that I've cuddled with him and held hands for days and I only sweat a little, and I was only holding hands with him when my hands were dry. Wish I could keep that up somehow ;) I thought I was going to get so nervous that I would sweat all over! But I found someone who I'm super comfortable around.

Anyway, I mostly wanted to come on here to say it's possible. I never thought it was, and I thought maybe it would help someone else out there for me to say it can happen despite HH. It has not been worth it to avoid relationships because of this condition, and as soon as that really hit me I decided to go for it with this guy that I found attractive. It really helped to believe in myself and it took me too long to do so... Thanks for all your support and words everyone! It really helped. Even if it did take two years!

Sprawling

Thanks for sharing with us again becomingmyself. Two years is nothing in the scheme of things. I'm glad you have decided to move slip and slide forward.

TravisHD90

None of them cared when i told them. I always do something like confessions sessions on the phone and we both tell each other our flaws and stuff. I do that to be able to tell her about my condition. When we hold hands i start to pull away at times when it gets wet, but sometimes they pull it back saying its okay. I think it affects us mentally more than anything.

The worst part for me is One Night Hookups. It happens usually at night so my medicine wears off. And i avoid touching them if possible because i don't wanna rub my greasy hand all over their boobs and it sucks cuz i wanna touch them =(.
Anyway i try to not let it hold me back from dating or girls in general. It takes a toll on scheduling though. I cannot be impulsive about going out. I have to plan ahead because of HH.

Last edited: