Damn Tom Cruise Syndrom.

Chrysta

Ok. If you don't already know Tom Cruises's veiws on medication, here it is. He believes that vitamins and exercise will get rid of depression and other mental issues. He believes the medication is not nessecary.

Well I totally dissagree with him. I pretty much wished he would dissapear from the public eye after he said that.

So I have been talking to this guy on myspace. He is a friend of one of my friends. He seemed cool.

Well he has a lot of strange views. He has Tom Cruise Syndrom. He believes that shrinks giving meds to someone is just their way of being lazy. He doesn't even believe in chemical imbalances. I am so frustrated with him. He believes that the weak die out and the strong live. He believes that people like us are weak. So I said well what about cancer patients? Their bodies can't live without medication. Does that make them weak? He said yes. What an ass.

I have SA and I am living. My sister had cancer and she is living. We are not weak.

I want him to get SA and see how he deals with it without medication. He'll suffer. And then he will see that you can't just talk or will this away.

I was disgussing the movie Saw with him. For those of you who haven't seen it, it is about a guy who puts people in situations where they have to do a test of sorts and if they don't do what it takes to live.. they die. He thinks they are taking advantage of their lives. So he puts them in the situation where they can die.

So the guy I was talking to thinks that there should be people out there doing that. He thinks that people shouldn't take advantage of their lives.

Would you like to be stuck in a room where you either shoot someone else to get out, saw your own leg off, or just die over time? I don't think so. Would you like to have a devise on you jaw that will permenatly open and kill you.. so you have to go cut open a living guy's somache to get a key to get it off? No. So how could he think that's right?

Anway .. I just had to rant. :twisted:

He thinks people should imitate what was done in saw? That's just disturbed.

As for whether or not people with SA and depression should take medication is another thing altogether though. I personally don't take meds for it and never will because for a lot of people they cause more problems than they solve and aren't worth it. Also, they can create a crutch for a person, so they can only function without sa / depression if they're on the meds, if they come off them their symptoms return. I believe there can be chemical imbalances sometimes but as a general rule SA is caused by circumstances and experiences. I disagree however that we are 'weak'. Everyone has flaws, problems, issues, and sa and anxiety problems are ours. But if someone finds that meds help them, then good for them, do what you need to get better. Everyone has different things that helps them.

Emma

Um, that guy sounds like a sicko, who thinks people should be forced to imitate the movie Saw.....gross.
As for the Tom Cruise sydrome, run for your life, anyone like him is insane and obviously a weak person himself.
And don't invite him over to your house, he might start jumping on your couch. :roll:

Reholla

Apparently the whole world doesn't know the history of physchiatry, and Tom Cruise does.....according to himself

I really don't like Tom Cruise AT ALL....there was a quote about him

"If vitamins and exercise alone explain why Tom Cruise is so, um, knowledgeable and well-grounded, pass the Prozac."
- Chicago Tribune
HAHA, just thought that was funny

The only thing though is that I do think we have to be careful about medication and not perscribe it for just anyone, and OVER diagnose...which I think does happen.
I realize some people do need medication for their condition at first, but people learn to be dependent, and never change or get out of the rut in their condition. Thats where it can be a problem. I don't think only excercise and vitamins can help some disorders though.

Falcon

Some people are jerks. Some people are cool. If he denigrates you or tries to push his beliefs on you, he's a jerk and not worth associating with. If he's cool, he'll accept you for who you are, even if he may not agree with you.

Which is he?

One thing about having SA is that often we cling to any human contact or 'friends' that we find, even if they are jerks.

Snowcrash

Tom Cruise is an idiot.

People who quote Tom Cruise trying to make a serious point are probably even worse.

pinkputter

SnowCrash: What's THAT supposed to mean?

Pretty sure people have the freedom to quote whoever they want, as long as it's accurate.......care to explain...

Snowcrash

pinkputter said:
SnowCrash: What's THAT supposed to mean?

Pretty sure people have the freedom to quote whoever they want, as long as it's accurate.......care to explain...

Just to clarify, my comment was not targeted at anyone posting here.

I was being critical of the "myspace guy" whom Chrysta was ranting about.

The guy she was talking about seemed to be making a lot of generalizations about people and backing them up with information they seem to have gotten from listening to Tom Cruise.

My point was that if this person is making arguments based on Tom Cruise's beliefs, their opinion is not worth much from my perspective.

Here is an example of Tom Cruise ranting about mental health during an interview:

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash3tc.htm

See if you can read that entire interview and still take Tom Cruise's opinion on mental health seriously.

In my opinion his statements vary from weak, to bizarre... certainly nothing I would want to base decisions about my mental health on.

So in short, I guess I was trying to sound sympathetic to Chrysta, sorry if it didn't come across that way.

maggie

i think Tom Cruise is kind of an ass..seems kind of stuck-up...and he's not really all that good looking either..to me anyway :wink:

stormygrey

Chrysta said:
He believes that the weak die out and the strong live. He believes that people like us are weak.

What a jerk. He doesn't know what it's like. As for his opinion on the Saw movie, he sounds like Hitler. Even if one says that people who need medical treatment are "weak", we are still part of humanity, and deserve to be treated as humans, we have flaws but we have so many merits as well. we have needs but that does not make us less worthy. this isn't some idealistic Ayn Rand-kinda world where "weak" people deserve to be flushed out of existence or "get over themselves" or whatever. unfortunately there are many clueless people out there like Tom Cruise and that guy.

pitkreet

Snowcrash said:
Here is an example of Tom Cruise ranting about mental health during an interview:

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash3tc.htm

See if you can read that entire interview and still take Tom Cruise's opinion on mental health seriously.

In my opinion his statements vary from weak, to bizarre... certainly nothing I would want to base decisions about my mental health on.

hahaha...thanks for posting that.

The cure for depression is reading a Tom Cruise interview....it made me laugh, anyway.

The guy rabbited on for ages yet did not say a single thing. But he does know the history of psychiatry...apparently.

Oh Tom, aren't you the clever one.... :roll:

Isn't he the guy that ate his baby's placenta?

Yossarian

First of all, Tom ‘Look at me! Look at me! I’m a maverick!’ Cruise is a misguided fool who has about as much insight into the human condition as a rather dimwitted turd does.

Secondly this clichéd, over-simplistic interpretation of the world by morons to justify their superiority complexes, really, really, really….. really pisses me off. Survival has nothing to do with moral justification. There is no divine purpose to it. It certainly isn’t just about being strong or weak.

If anything survival is about adaption. Those that can adapt best to their environment have a better chance of survival and procreation. Even better than adapting is to be able to directly manipulate the environment to suit us, which is exactly what medication is about. We have a situation that is detrimental and we adapt. To use his own example of the film Saw, we are doing what it takes to live so therefore he’s full of shit.

If the weak die out and the strong live then we are all weak. Unless of course he happens to be immortal, which somehow I rather doubt. What I want to know is what it means to take advantage of your life? Isn’t that a good thing? To make the most out of a preciously short existence? Unless he means the opposite, people who take life for granted. If that were the case he would be saying that life is precious and shouldn’t be abused. Yet he advocates killing this precious life he so cherishes which is a complete contradiction and therefore full of even more shit.

If death is it’s own justification does that mean we can kill his family and friends and he’ll be happy in the knowledge that because they died, they were weak and so deserved it. Or maybe he believes babies shouldn’t be taken care of because they can’t yet do what it takes to live. Somehow I doubt he would be ok with that, so yet again he would be full of shit. If he did agree with that then he would be even worse.

No doubt I have over simplified his argument as I have only a scant, second hand account. No doubt he would have some workarounds to excuse this or that scenario. No doubt said workarounds would just end up as a ramshackle, ill thought out justification why people like him should exist while others shouldn’t. Such, unfortunately seems to be the nature of certain people.

It is a perverse hypocrisy that so often people who build a philosophy around survival are more concerned about justifying death and suffering rather than valuing life. Not only that but so often they seem to have an extremely narrow and naïve understanding of how man has survived so well. We are social animals. As a species we have survived because we help each other out. These days the biggest threat to man is ourselves, through ignorance, greed and intolerance. Traits ironically enough that such ‘survivalists’ seem to have in abundance.

P.S. Rants are good.

pitkreet said:
isn't he the guy that ate his baby's placenta?

If only it could of been the other way around...

MarCPatt

That guy from myspace.com sounds like a complete idiot and future serial murderer (if he is not one already). For one, he would not be alive if that type of mentality was what has helped humans evolve. He would not have made it the first day after birth.
10.gif

Why waste time on a defenseless creature who is only going to grow up to abuse you, or even kill you to get whatever he/she wants from you? This guy sounds like a spoiled little brat who does not realize how much mercy has been put on his worthless butt, from the moment he was born; for him to be able to have the luxury of just sitting in front of a computer typing away; instead of constantly fending off predators trying to kill him to feed themselves at all times.
11.gif

If this guy is not some spoiled brat, then he must have just had a terrible upbringing; so terrible that it has completely clouded his mind on human nature and the truth of how we came to be where we are (civilization).
7.gif

young

Tom Cruise maybe an raving lunatic... He may jump on the couchs of talk shows... But... And it's a big butt... He's not completely crazy. He does have some interesting points.

TOM CRUISE: Matt, you have to understand this. Here we are today where I talk out against drugs and psychiatric abuses of electric shocking people (PH), okay, against their will, of drugging children with them not knowing the effects of these drugs.

I wholeheartedly agree with this statment. I've experienced it first hand. I've been to a shrink who had me on 5 different pills at one time. What kinda crap is that?? Pills aren't the answer for every question. Some think they are. Like alcohol they can numb the problem. Without actually helping the problem. Vitamins and exercise can actually do a lot to help depression.

Look at kids. When they are doing poor in school. They don't check their habits at home. They quickly jump the gun and go yep he has ADD. Let's give him some Ritalin. Goto your family Dr. tell him you have some depression, or anxiety. I bet he'll give you some pills. Will he help you to eliminate stress that could be cluttering your life. Probably not.

Though I am a little confused as to how depression and giving meds. And cancer tied together?

nerdgirl178 said:
You are all diseased. Get a frickin' life people!!! Get up off your ass, stop fearing and quit being lazy!

I'm not sure if you're serious or taking the p*ss outta tom cruise?? :?