Curettage Surgery

kingflab

Out of wonder, how many of you have had curettage surgery for underarm hyperhidrosis?

And if you did have it, is it still working?

I've read a few posts about good success, but I'm starting to wonder what the long term implications are, and if the sweatglands have ever grown back.

brunettee

hello king flab i had this procedure done 3 years ago and it worked wonders for two and half years then returned the sweating isnt as bad but the odor came back just the same and the scars are really bad but that didnt bother me to much. Has any body else had this procedure done and how long did it work for you

kingflab

Hey, thanks!

Sorry to hear that your problems returned. I don't have an odor problem myself, so sweating is really my only concern. Did the sweating return to HH levels for you, or is it not too bad now?

brunettee

The sweating has returned but not as bad im just damp under my arms where as before it would literally pour out. I hope to have this procedure done again or have the sweat glands cut out if they are willing to give me a second operation. Why are you havin this operation or thinking about it.

kingflab

The sweating has returned but not as bad im just damp under my arms where as before it would literally pour out. I hope to have this procedure done again or have the sweat glands cut out if they are willing to give me a second operation. Why are you havin this operation or thinking about it.

As far as I'm aware the operation can be repeated, so you shouldn't have a problem there.

I'm quite suprised the sweating returned after 2 and a half years, most of the Docs who perform curettage seem to be under the impression that there is no evidence to suggest the sweat glands grow back. Yet they have for you. Have you tried contacting your surgeon to see what they make of it?

I'm getting the surgery for pretty bad underarm HH, as it really is a pain in the neck. Dampness doesn't sound so bad in comparison.

brunettee

yes i had very severe hh it would pour from me as soon as my arms would come down. Since the surgery i had nothing no sweat and no odar i would recommend it even tho it leaves bad scarring it improved my quality of life so much i just wore tops to hide the scars which i could live with. But the down fall its come back its odar really thet gets to me more now i could live with dampness. Ive bin back to my doctor and waitin for an appointment to see the surgeon who did the op. I hope to god i can have the op again got a feeling there gonna say i dont need it. I went threw hell trying to get it done in the 1st place. Have you tried everything else nothing worked for me apart from the surgery

kingflab

I've tried antiperspirants and Iontophoresis, but they didn't work, so I'm probably in the same situation as you, glad to hear it's provided some decent results though! I'm pretty sure you can get the op repeated, will you have to pay again in full?

brunettee

Ha god no I aint got that kind of money . I never paid the 1st time i had it done on the nhs if i was payin private id of had it done already for a second time (he he). Have you tried botox that didnt work for me either i paid a few times to have that done and i had it done on the nhs to but it didnt work thats when i begged to have the surgery done apparantly botox is not available any more on the nhs. Have you paid private and how much did it cost i might have to get savin.

kingflab

I'm going privately, it's about £1100 in total. How the hell did you manage to get it on the NHS, I was under the impression there'd be a limited waiting list.

brunettee

yes i had to wait about 6 months for the operation. £1100 aint to bad i thought it would be alot more how much is it to have the sweat glands removed do you know i would prefer to have that op next time round then hopefully if the glands are removed they wont grow back at all. I would consider payin private if i cant get it done again id have to save of course but surgery is my only option well the only thing thats worked for me so far.

kingflab

yes i had to wait about 6 months for the operation. £1100 aint to bad i thought it would be alot more how much is it to have the sweat glands removed do you know i would prefer to have that op next time round then hopefully if the glands are removed they wont grow back at all. I would consider payin private if i cant get it done again id have to save of course but surgery is my only option well the only thing thats worked for me so far.

Which opperation did you originally have then?

brunettee

where they scrape the skin catterage and they took a chunk of skin out to or so my doctor said its left bad scars anyway. I havent had the sweat glands removed or at least i dont i have il have to ask my doc it was 2 and half years ago. Do u know how much the operation is to have the excission.

brunettee

I hope your operations a success anyway good luck and keep me updated on how your getting on. Would you do me a favour tho when you have your operation would you just ask how much it is to have the sweat glands excission i think its called and let me know. Thanks chuck

kingflab

The sweatgland excision is the one where they remove the skin? I don't think they perform that much anymore due to the scarring. All the other forms of curettage involve the same thing using different tools I think, e.g removing the sweat glands with either a spoon shaped thingy, a liposuction device, etc.

brunettee

I dont care about the scarrin my scars are pretty bad as it is as long as i dont sweat or smell havein bad scars is fine with me. Wont they perform it even if your payin private. They wouldnt give me this op 2 and half years ago but if the sweating comes back i was hopeing they would do the excission that permantly removes them. I wouldnt want that ets operation heard some bad stuff about that. I heard liposuction under the arms teh sweat glands grow back after 6 months so i wouldnt want done either i want something that wont let them grow back

kingflab

Well -and I could be wrong here- I'm pretty sure the excision treatment isn't as effective as the others, mainly as the others are less invasive and therefor less complicated. Might be a good bet to ask your surgeon though as he should definitely know more.

brunettee

ive heard the excission is the best to stop it forever but the scarrin and healing times are long and hard. I think this is the op they give you as a last resort when all else fails. I am at my wits end with it id do anything to get rid of it permantley ive even thought of cuttin them out myself(ha ha) only jokin it has crossed my mind when ive had a few to many vodkas ha. I just get really down and fed up with it
I was gutted when it came back i cried for days cause it was unexpected thought i was cured for life but i wont take ewt for granted again. Has it ever got you really down in the past

kingflab

Yeah, it used to, not so much these days. It only ever gets me down when I wonder how I'd ever manage to cope if I'm unable to do something about it - as I really need to be able to wear suits :p

I think the lipo-suction + scrapage procedure is definitley the best, as it gives a double whammy against the glands - it should be a lot more effective than the excision. By the way, curettage is relatively new so it's a good bet that whilst excision was seen as the best thing 3 years ago, it's now being seen as probably the worst option (it shouldn't be anymore effective than the curettage procedure). But like I said, I'm not entirely sure so your best bet is to ask the surgeon.