Cults/fundamental religion & SA

staticreflex

Does anyone else think that very fundamentalist religion can play a part in someones social development when they are younger? I didn't grow up in a cult, but it was close (had to dress uniformly, couldn't socialize with the opposite gender unsupervised, paid barely enough to eat and get clothes and even a lot of that was supposed to be spent at the on "campus" store, housing was provided, living on a compound and not allowed to have friends from the outside, attended an on campus elementary school, not allowed to play sports or watch TV.) I'm not debating whether religion is good or not, but does that sound a little extreme to you or has anyone had a similar experience? I don't think it would cause SA but it definately didn't help since I was too afraid to go to a theatre until I was 20 y/o because I thought demons would get me or socialize with people since they were from the evil "world."

coyote

Wow,...I'm glad you didn't grow up in cult.

That sounds horrible.

I hope things are going better for you now.

Silvox Black

Yes, the living environment of a child can greatly influence social anxiety as well as other mental health issues. Parents who are overbearing and shelter their children can leave them ill-prepared with the realities of life. Spoiled children never go very far beyond their parent's homes. Religion can bias a child's thought patterns and impair their mental capacity if the extent of religious control is strong enough. There is no doubt that a fundamentalist religion can affect a child's growth and development.

"Spoiled children never go very far beyond their parent's homes."

Unfortunately I lie in this category. My mother who also has social anxiety, did nothing but spoil me and never taught me anything about the way the world works. Yes, the environment you grow up in probably dictates 99% of what you become in life and who you are as a person.
As things change in your life, so do you as a person.

For me personally, I find that living in a more religious home helped a lot. My parents couldn't answer most of questions regarding religion and life though, so I only found answers in adulthood. But overall, I find that it's very beneficial. Sadly though, I'm very sure that many parents and other people are extremely, extremely overprotective and do so with religion as an excuse.

Hannes

I truly believe that this type of upbringing could have a lot to do with your social anxiety. Many of the causes of social anxiety lay anchored in the subconcious mind as a result of inapropriate subconcious programming which took place in the sufferers formative years (0 - 7 years old).

This is not only true in the case of fundamental religions or cults but any programing which might be inapropriate for the instinctual responses in an individual later on in life. Thus the formation of what are known as the triggers of the individuals anxiety later on in life.

Why not check this article out, it might help:
The Reality of Child Anxiety Disorder

All the best and remember, you own your mind so you can change the responses it creates.