Criticism from friends most hurtful.

Devrium

I know how you feel. Betrayal and cruel words by the ones that are closest to you always hurt the most (sorry Captain Obvious statement right there) But this has happened to me so many times in the past with people I thought were my friends.. which just added to my mistrust issues of people. I kind of consider myself a fragile person already, especially when it comes to trusting others. I am also the type of person that wears my heart on my sleeve and I think because of that it's easier for people to make fun of me or pick up on things.. point out my weaknesses, etc. I know I get talked down a lot... especially by my family... so because of that I kind of just became more of a recluse. I don't have a close relationship with any of my family except for my aunt (who just passed away 6 days ago)... and I haven't had any friends irl in quite some time. I myself live in a small town (population 900 or so) so I know what that's like too...

I don't really have any advice to offer on how to build yourself up or handle it because I.. just ran away and isolated myself even further. I just figured, the more people I was around the more chance there was of my getting hurt by them. And I am so tired of being hurt and let down by other people, that I just don't bother anymore... not the best way to handle things I know.. but I don't really know what else to do. That and I have never really been the sort of person that has felt the need to surround myself with a lot of friends. I have 1 or 2 people that are close to me... I completely attach myself to them and then I forget about the rest of the world.

bony666

I know it’s normal for others to talk badly about others behind their backs, but they are my closest friends from years way back and now I feel like I don’t want to be around them anymore, but that would alienate me more so I don’t want to lose them. Is there anyway I could build my image up more or handle this? I almost wish I could get new friends, but in a smaller town, it’s hard to do.[/QUOTE]

I felt exactly the same many times in my life, it's like am reading my own story

Hello*22

Ya i know how your feeling, it sounds similar to my situation. Freinds think its 'okay' to leave me out of nights out, and stuff, and yet think that i am actually interested in hearing about their nights out after? Ah no. i'm quite defensive and i can stand up for myself, which makes people think im a ***** at times, but its just ive learnt that i cannot trust many and i need to stay on guard. I dont think ive any advice for you, but what i do when so called 'friends' do this is just walk away and move on. But you said these are your friends since childhood, so idk,. Just know you're not alone in these situations.