Critical People

Does anyone else get bothered by criticism from others? I was just wondering if anyone else has ever felt like it made them feel like they are worthless. Like it did for me. I just feel like I am always criticized and I don't know why. :/ Oh and also I hung out with this guy who said "Don't forget to take care of yourself." What would make a guy say this? Maybe to look out for me? He also thought I have break downs. But I don't know what he's talking about. We barely talked or hung out. I think he thought I was like him. But I don't get it why he thought that. Maybe to rush a relationship. He freaked out when I came late. My bad. He also thought I focus on the past,can't handle stress well, and he thought I was lonely, and he thinks I don't compromise. He said those things and I just didn't know what to think. He thought that I couldn't handle myself because I had a stone with me. But that's not what I use it for. Also I couldn't understand this moment he and I had. I said something and I can't really remember. But I remember that I was in a good mood. And he just stopped and stared at me. I think he was judging me for what I said or couldn't stand it. I don't know. After that one time hanging out. I didn't like being with him.Hanging out with him in general made me feel alone. I felt he just criticized me the whole time and acted like he didn't have problems at all. He just pointed out my flaws. That really upset me. I don't understand guys. I just need to understand whats going on. I think I do. But I need a second opinion. I don't want to misconstrue any messages he was trying to convey . Thanks.

Nathália

I think because of the stigmas and how people stereotype behavior, certain judgments are made when people see a particular behavioral pattern. I deal with similar situations of unasked for advice and it just raises my anxiety level because people are giving me advice that doesn't pertain to me. Yes it's upsetting to be in a situation of people telling you who you are and you know what you're not.

goblin

Sounds like it could just be concern (which would make more sense if you two were close), but I do understand the irritation at unasked-for advice. I consider it a major personality flaw.

If you didn't bring anything related to mental health up on your own, those are strange comments.

dottie

Sounds like it could just be concern (which would make more sense if you two were close),

Agreed. He is probably a person who tries to "fix" things and wants the best for you... he just has an inappropriate/insensitive way of expressing it.

goblin said:
but I do understand the irritation at unasked-for advice. I consider it a major personality flaw.

This is one of my many personality flaws. I am slowly learning to live and let live.