Crippling anxiety at work

Tuukka40

Being a college kid, there aren't many decent paying jobs I can get. For that reason, I am a server at a restaurant. The job has to be one of the worst that a person with SA can have. BUT it pays more than any part job I could get right now.

I do okay when I get older adults, or couples, etc. But every so often (a couple times a week) I get a table of high school or college kids. And unless they come across as excessively nice, I have an EXTREMELY hard time talking to them and doing my job correctly. Mainly because I feel that these are the people who will judge me the harshest. It's hard, awkward, and ruins my day.

My anxiety isn't so bad that I can't handle one on one interaction with a person..But when it is 3 or 4 people or more and all eyes are on me, it's extremely difficult for me to cope with the situation.

Is there anything I can get prescribed to take the edge off my anxiety during work?
I would take non-medicated steps to cope, but I am only going to have this job for a few more months and I don't see it improving that drastically in that short amount of time..Any suggestions (other than quit)?

LazyHermitCrab

The only natural solution I can think of is joining a gym and drinking peppermint tea. Just think of them as tip ppl and imagine it like a game of winning the most tips. You don't have to have a personal conversation or entertain them just the basic like what do you want, here's water, thanks for coming :)

I have a similar problem. I'm a branch manager now for a financial institution. I was sort of like a personal banker before. Over the past 3 and a half years I have pushed myself to connect with people and have learned how to start with small talk. It is very difficult. In my industry you succeed by connecting with people, getting them to open up about very personal business (their finances) in order to build a relationship. Fortunately my credit union believes in the power of education and they work hard to teach their employees proper skills. All of that aside I still have to talk. Same thing though adults and the elderly are easy enough to chat with. They have grown up and aren't very judgemental. Young people well that's all we do right is judge others? Many times I have chosen not to help young people..Especially if I happen to find them attractive! It's ridiculous.

I blush and get rash and have erythrophobia so if I feel my face start to blush I turn into a fiery tomato and then I get nervous and shake and yeah the whole 9.

The one thing that started to help was admitting what I was going through. I have told a couple of peers and close friends. Just admitting it has helped a little. I found that turning red in the face in front of these people started to ease up after I told them about my blushing problem. Finding out that others experience the same thing is helping me cope with it a little. These small accomplishments are gradually helping my symtoms to ease just a tiny bit. I've had to just power through hundreds of these encounters at work and still struggle with the shakiness and blushing but you have to remember that you will get through it. 9 out of 10 of those people would be understanding if they knew you had a sa issue and wouldn't judge you. People are more understanding than we think. The support is around for you when you allow it in.

Don't quit. Keep trying and try to let the small accomplishments sink in. I'm trying g to get some xanax or something from the psychologist but there are many steps involved to get med the right way.