• Yes

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

Zooman

Based on the fact that I personally suffer from both and that I have read that these could possibly be interconnected I thought it would be interesting to see how many others on here have Joint Hypermobility Syndrome and Social Anxiety too.

Last edited:
meow

I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, which is very similar. I get 9/9 on the beighton scale. Interesting for someone to bring it up here, I've read a little bit about the correlation between hypermobility and anxiety. I wonder why it is.

Zooman

Thanks for starting off the poll with your vote psychedelicious and thanks for the comment. I believe the genes related to the 2 traits must be interconnected in some way which is why these 2 diseases seem to be prevalent (in certain degrees) at the same time. You can access information on the correlation of hypermobility and anxiety through a google search of "hypermobility and social anxiety" btw. Some of the stuff is pretty technical but it does seem that these 2 traits are connected.

Zooman

Wow I am actually surprised that we have more "no's" than "yes" atm. I just want everyone to be 100% sure on their answer before they vote or else hit the "not sure" button because i don't want false data. The reason i mention this is because hypermobility can be very benign sometimes. A good way to quickly test your mobility is the Beighton score (quick google search will give u the instructions) but i'd like to mention that i even do really good on the beighton score but I still have hypermobility. I actually didn't even know i was hypermobile until I was around age 18 and that was because i had been lifting heavy weights for over a year and it had slowly taken a tool on my ligaments and tendons that normally wouldn't happen to someone without hypermobility. It was only once I had started to develop injuries that i visited the doctor and got diagnosed for hypermobility. So yeah guys, i just really don't want false negatives on the survey so if you aren't 100% sure then hit the "not sure" button. Oh and btw people don't be afraid to vote! There is like 140 views on this thread already and only 8 votes! Cmon guys! This is actually important so the more data the better! Thanks!

Last edited:
I believe the genes related to the 2 traits must be interconnected in some way which is why these 2 diseases seem to be prevalent (in certain degrees) at the same time.

Its probably not good science to start with a belief and then to try to push the data towards your way of thinking. It would be preferable to say something like "my theory is that x and y may have a genetic connection..." and then to set up your poll questions in a way that eliminates doubt and wait for the outcome :thumbup:

Zooman

Its probably not good science to start with a belief and then to try to push the data towards your way of thinking. It would be preferable to say something like "my theory is that x and y may have a genetic connection..." and then to set up your poll questions in a way that eliminates doubt and wait for the outcome :thumbup:
How am i pushing data? Btw, this is only a survey, not a scientific report. If you want to read some scientific reports that came to this conclusion then just google "social anxiety, hypermobility". The purpose of this survey is to take that conclusion from the multiple reports and test it on this website.

Last edited:

Sacrament

Well, he did say 'I believe'.

Excuse my ignorance, but what does JHS stand for? I tried Googling it, but ended up on Juristic High School, Jacksonville Historical Society, and The Journal of Hellenic Studies which I don't reckon it means. :giggle:

Zooman

Excuse my ignorance, but what does JHS stand for? I tried Googling it, but ended up on Juristic High School, Jacksonville Historical Society, and The Journal of Hellenic Studies which I don't reckon it means. :giggle:

It stands for Joint Hypermobility Syndrome

Zooman

Update: I just wanted to point out that the beighton scale is NOT an accurate assessment of loose ligaments. The reason I say this is because we also have muscles which prevent our joints from going in every direction. When you do the beighton score it is assumed you are only testing your ligaments. This is just totally inaccurate though because someone with loose ligaments can still do very good on the beighton score and make it seem like they don't have loose ligaments because of the muscles stabilizing their joints. The real test is when you take the muscles out of the equation so that you are able to see exactly how loose the ligaments really are. For example, I only get injured when my muscles are fatigued. This is because when my muscles are fatigued they are no longer supporting my frame and then any external force is stressed on my ligaments. In a normal person their ligaments would continue to hold through a lot more stress than mine because my ligaments are lax. This is why when I use to weight lift I would always get injured. My ligaments would fail to protect my joints once my muscles were too fatigued to fully support whatever I was lifting and I would get injured. It really frustrates me that this primitive test is the best that the medical world has for testing loose ligaments. Please do better medical society, because this test is just pathetic. End rant.

Last edited: