Conversation styles?

KiaKaha

Banned
Hmmmm.... thats interesting. One reason I avoid parties and going to social events where the majority of people know one another is because I know that I am going to feel left out due to them already knowing each other and talking about the past.

Many a time I have just sat there...literally not saying anything (and feeling very uncomfortable) while everyone around me is talking about personal outings, and about people they know and past social events they have done together. I feel very left out and stupid.

I wish people were a little bit more aware in those situations to make the new person feel a bit more welcome. Its hard at the best of times when people dont acknowledge you because you are the new guy.

MikeyC

I don't think it's the style that's the only problem.

I have a bunch of friends who enjoy extreme metal, much like I do, and that's the one bond we have. However, I have other interests, too, and I'm not keen on discussing it all the time. "I think X band is death/black metal and not just death metal." "I...don't care." I like nature and going out to pubs and things like that, and I have an interest in rugby league, so these things are something I'd enjoy talking about sometimes.

phocas, you're right that having a group where one or two people are dominating gets tiring and it makes me not want to be in that group at all.

Aletheia

necro

I can't stand it when people start trying to score points off each other in "debate". I'd far rather toss ideas around for the shear joy of it.