Control of Palmar Hyperhidrosis with a New ‘‘Dry-Type’’ Iontophoretic Device

cm123

BACKGROUND Palmar hyperhidrosis is characterized by excessive sweating on the palm, and among
the various treatment modalities, tap water iontophoresis has been widely used.
OBJECTIVE The objective of this study was to assess the effect of a new ‘‘dry-type’’ iontophoretic
device that was locally manufactured and did not use tap water to control sweating.

METHODS Ten subjects with palmar hyperhidrosis were enrolled in this study. To be treated the patients
were instructed that they only have to grasp the device. Only one palm was treated for 2 weeks,
and then the treatment was discontinued the following next 2 weeks. The other palm was not treated as a
control. At the end of second week, biopsy specimens were obtained from untreated and treated palm,
respectively, and examined histologically.

RESULTS Nine of 10 patients were satisfied with this therapy reducing their sweat outputs from 33% to
51% of baseline at the end of 2 weeks’ treatment, and after 2 weeks of discontinuation of treatment sweat
productions returned to near baseline. The pathologic examinations showed some occlusions and destruction
of intraepithelial eccrine ducts only in the treated palm.

CONCLUSION We suggest that dry-type iontophoresis could reduce palmar sweating more conveniently
than other conventional methods.
The authors have indicated no significant interest with commercial supporters.

I have uploaded the FULL pdf which includes more information on the device and pictures to the following website:MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Just type the captcha and wait for the timer on the right to countdown so that you can download it for free.

drytypeiontophoreticdev.png

In this DC application method using the patient’s
sweat itself as the medium of electric currents, there
were no limitations in use. It can be used at any time in
daily life, such as while studying, driving, watching TV,
walking, or jogging because it does not use any water
or chemicals and is compact in size, very convenient
for carrying around. So this dry-type iontophoresis
would achieve the possibility of better compliance and
response with a better availability for use.

Last edited:

cm123

If anyone is interested in this device please post here! I want to get a petition formed for this device. Then I am going to contact the doctor who had it made and introduce him to the forum and show him the great need for it. We might have to raise capital to get it made as well but I guess we will have to ask.

If anyone is interested in helping please let me know!

tbanner523

I saw this article as well (downloaded it through my university account). It's interesting in that it doesn't seem to treat the whole hand, though it might be helpful in any case.

It also appears that it might not be that hard to construct for those who are mechanically inclined (aka, not me). We might not need the doctor to do it.

g35

hmmmmmm this might not work as well with iontopherisis with baking soda. I'm just guessing though, because this sounds the same as sticking your hand directly onto the pie pans during iontopheresis treatments, which was proven to be ineffective.