Considering to get a dog

LostViking

As the topic says, I'm considering to get myself a dog as I think it can be of great help to me when in regards of fighting social anxiety. It may sound strange, but I always feel more confident and comfortable when I'm around dogs, and they often provide you with means to establish some social contact. Having one would also force me to get out of the house more often than I do now, not to mention a bit of company as I spend most of my time alone. However, I'd like to hear what others who are, or may have been in my position, thinks of the idea.

Some would probably think I'm a bit young to own a dog (21 years, and a student), but I'm not entirely without experience here either. My family have had several dogs before, and I have a sister who works a bit with search & rescue using labradors. So training it will most likely be a challenge, yet one I can overcome (and I intend to get both me and the dog on a training thingy lasting a few months so we get a good start). If everything turns sour and I'll end up lacking the time for it, or something else comes up, providing the dog with a good home won't be a problem as my dad can easily be persuaded into letting it live with him. That's not something I want to happen though, but it's good for the dog to have a safety net like that with people he'll feel safe around I guess.

There are a few issues that I've worried about though. I live with an old friend, who is a rather lively person, yet the way we live now there's never any parties or anything in our flat, when that happens we're usually invited to someone else's place. He has however expressed an interest in renting a larger apartment next year and bring in a few friends of us, who would be likely to invite people over every now and then and make some noise. And I guess this ain't a good environment for a dog to be in. Hopefully we'll just stick to the place we have now and find a replacement for the third guy who moved out, and keep it relatively quiet though.

I guess what I'm asking is if there's anyone here who have been in my position and faced similar issues when it comes to having a dog, and maybe can give me some advice :)

krs2snow

Hi LostViking. I have two dogs and I love em! I can't imagine not having a dog around. But, renting with pets is hard! Took a lot of looking to find somewhere where they'd let me have my pups. Plus, they usually want more money if they do allow pets. They do make you get out more though. I love taking them to the park, walking, or for a swim. Props to you for thinking it through, too! Dogs are a load of fun but they are work and they do require a commitment. If you are ready to take on the responsibility, I don't think you can go wrong in getting a four-legged friend!

edit.

DT123

That's a fantastic idea. Dogs are wonderful friends...they will always think that you are the greatest person in the world and they will love you unconditionally (If you get the right one of course...but I've found that most dogs are naturally friendly). If you ever feel lonely, they're right there for you.

My dog was probably my best friend. At times, he was the only one who I ever felt truly comfortable around...he really got me through some hard times. He died this summer, but he gave me twelve great years.

LostViking

Thanks for the replies! Going to get a reply regarding the rules for pets tomorrow I hope, and I have a feeling it's at least not a complete no-go. Hopefully just a slight increase in my rent, or having to sign something about it not disturbing the neighbors. If it works out I've already had a look at a young Manchester Terrier that seems to be a good candidate. That and I've had a look at the price for an 8 week training thing (1 day a week) that was actually a lot more affordable than I first though.

If it doesn't work out I've at least managed to divert my mind from depression for a little while by looking around for a dog :)

I think you should totally get a dog. Dogs can make you feel so great sometimes. I have two dogs and I love both of them like crazy and they make it a lot easier for me sometimes. They can actually tell when you are feeling sad and it's really nice. My one little dogs gets so excited whenever anyone comes home and always has to jump in your arms. It's so sweet. Dogs are so helpful.

Caseums21

I have a golden retriever for about 12 years now. She's my first dog I ever had and she's amazing.

When I'm in a bad mood, she'll come over with one of her toys, wag her tail, and sit by me while I pet her. Then she'll put her toy down and lay her head on my lap. That always makes me feel better.

When I come home, she'll run over to me with a toy in her mouth. Makes me feel good that she missed me. When I was gone for a 3 months, my dad told me that she would sit by my bedroom door and cry. When I called the house and the answering machine picked up, I would leave her a message like I would if I was there. Dad said that she would listen to it and run around the house but when the message was over, she would go back to crying.

What helped me with having a dog and SA is, when I take her for walks (around my town that everyone knows each other) people would come up to us and talk. They first talk about Abby (my dog) then talk about my life. Sometimes people I don't know come up to us. It helps you with conversation skills.

Good luck with getting a dog. Having a dog is hard work but it's so worth it. Having them giving you love makes you feel so good about yourself. Let us know if you get one.

tommydog

Two things that stood out in your post for me.

1. You said that you can arrange a home with your father if it dosnt work out. Thats not good enough. You have to make it work out. If you buy a dog, its for 8 - 16 years, or dont buy one.

2. You said that noise isnt the best environment for a dog. Sure it is, dont worry about that.

Iv had dogs all my life. I have a rednose American Pitbull. I love dogs and do anything for her. What I have done for that dog (and others) and the things i'v sacrificed, some people think im nuts but I aint nuts. The dogs my best and most loyal friend, and she depends on me to do the right thing by her.

A dog will get you out walking, help you talk to people and thier dogs when your out, you can take up a dog sport like agility or something with your dog, or lure coarsing, lots of fun and you can meet people.

Dogs are good for everyone including people with SP. One thing to keep in mind is dogs are like humans in the sense that they pick up on how you feel, and if you feel contempt or anger toward them they will know. Dont get a dog unless your completely sure.

What breeds do you like ? Sounds to me like a toy breed would be the most suitable for an apartment, is that what you had in mind ? Maybe something like a pug, or a miniture pinscher or something.

LostViking

Ah well, the person who can decide wether or not I can have a pet in this apartment is gone until monday, so guess I'll have to wait. Seems they usually say no, but the one I spoke to was interested in what sort of animal I considered, etc. So maybe there's a chance still.

And Tommy_15, I know it's not good to enter this with the thought in the back of my head that someday it may not work, I just worry too much so I always end up making emergency plans for everything. Was mainly thinking that if something happens that changes my situation a lot further into the future than I can predict (job after studies and such), then at least I know that he won't have to be handed off to strangers. That said, I do want it to work though :)

And I wasn't worried only about noise, more that someone I live with decide to throw a party of some kind. I know our dog back home got stressed fairly easy by strangers.

And as for breed there's the Manchester Terrier I mentioned, but by monday I fear he may have already relocated. I'm not too much of a fan of mixed breeds, and most mixes here in Norway seem to have a portion Border Collie in them, so wouldn't work for me. Also had a look at a few Basenjis, so I'd prefer a dog somewhere around that size. I'm also a big fan of the dachshund, but they're often trained for hunting and unless they show themselves as more fitting for a companion dog, they seldom get sold to someone without a rifle :p

I'll try not to get more excited about dogs for now though, and just wait and see what they tell me on monday.

Edit: So I did get a bit more excited, damnit. The terrier I've been looking at was gone, I did however stumble upon 3 basenjis for sale, and they had one left. After a very pleasant chat with the owner (a talkative and nice elderly lady) who have been breeding these for 20 years, I feel assured that I've come in contact with someone professional at least. And not only that, but my sister will be able to supply me with quite a bit of equipment that she gets very cheap due to her job, so things are looking quite good. That, and I'm now as determined that I can be that this is something I want to work, and something that will last.

tommydog

I dont know much about Basenji's, im sure you know a load more than me after talking to the breeder, but you dont want to get a working breed in an apartment. The dog will climb the walls, it will either be uncontrollable and destructive or depressed.

What I do know of Basenji's is that they dont bark, and they are a native breed, meaning they used to occur naturally in the wild. As far as I know, they are the only native breed of domestic dog, apart from the Australian Dingo ofcourse, which some people argue there bloodlines which are domestic pets.

You want to be very careful with terriers. Particularly if you going anthing larger than a Maltese, like a Jack Russel Terrier or a Fox Terrier. They are a hell of a lot of dog in a small package and not suitable for an apartment.

LostViking

The thing about having a basenji in an apartment was one of the first things I asked the breeder about, and she told me she had sold several of them to people living in the city, and so far it had worked out well with all of them (one of the 3 dogs this time is actually going to the same city as I live in). It's a rather large apartment though (more like a small house) so it shouldn't be too small for a dog either. I'm also thinking of joining one of the local clubs around here so we get a place to socialize with other dogs and run around a bit. Saw you mentioned agility, and noticed the sport seems to be getting more popular around here too, so could be worth a shot. Would also be fun to try blood-trail (very free translation), since my sister is a judge in those competitions and could teach me a thing or two during the summers. :)

tommydog

Whats blood trial ?

Yeh agility is great. You get a very special connection with your dog, its an awesome feeling having so much control over the dog and you get alot of satisfaction seeing the dog do well.

Lure coursing is great too, but on one hand im advising you to get a breed that is inhernetly calm, and on the other im telling you how good lure coursing is :lol:

Sorry :lol:

I dont know how they do it in your country, here they attach a plastic bag to a rope. They make a path for the rope around pulleys stuck in the grass. The rope is attached to a modified motorbike which someone controls. The idea is for the dog to chase the bag around the course. The dogs wins by catching the bag, and gets extra points for pre-empting the bags path, its loads of fun, I do it with my Pitbull.

Some countries build a course with and use live animals, like rabbits or rats.

LostViking

I was sure I saw lure coursing mentioned somewhere earlier when looking around at the websites for local clubs, can't find it again however. They do offer several activities to their member for only a symbolic membership cost, so I don't doubt I'll find something to do there. And the blood trail thing involves (as far as I can remember) a rather small amount of blood from an animal such as deer, spread across a certain area. Then the dog has to follow the trail. I've admittedly never witnessed it in action, it does seem like activities connected to, or inspired by, hunting is more common here in Norway than more game'ish versions. It's something to look into though, but for now I'll just have to worry about monday. :)

And I don't fear an active dog as such, just more of a reason to break out of my rather apathetic lifestyle through some hard work.

tommydog

Oh ok like a scent trial. Youd probably get breeds like beagles doing that. Thats a nice dog btw, although there a bit larger their quite docile when they mature.

Im not saying that you fear active dogs, im just saying in terms of space in an apartment. I'v done it before, my game bred Pitbull was miserable.

Lets see how you go bring on Monday good luck keep us updated.

LostViking

Aye, I'm guessing there's dogs such as the beagle that's really good at it, would still be fun to try it now and then just for the fun of it though. And as for monday, after having done a few hours of research here it seems that I have far more rights than I actually thought. And that my landlord can't really deny my request unless it proves the dog would become a nuisance to others in the neighborhood. I'm hoping I won't have to resort to a discussion about laws and such with them though, so I'm going to be diplomatic to start with, and also explain my condition and how the company of a dog may be very beneficial for me. If push comes to shove however, I'm renting the apartment from a company so I'm far more comfortable discussing rules and regulations with them than I would be with a little old lady. :p

Edit: And after 20 minutes more of searching I found a complete copy of the laws regarding the issue of renting a place to live and having an animal. If there are good reasons for it, I could even be able to nullify a restriction against animals here (and I'm hoping my reasons as such would be sufficient). However, I'll still stick to what I said about hoping to resolve this in a diplomatic way that allows me to let those I rent from keep their good impression of me and my flatmate.

Also, a big thank you to everyone who replied and gave me a boost to go on with this!

LostViking

Success! The company owning the apartment we rent said they're generally not thrilled about pets, but due to the fact this one is in a backyard and so on, they saw no reason as to why I shouldn't be able to have a dog.

Hopefully I'll be on the train some day in not too long, to have a look at a 4 month old Shiba. The woman breeding them gave me a good feeling since she's the sort that primarily cares about the new owner and the dog getting along, not just about wether or not you have money for one.

krs2snow

Hi LostViking! I have found the perfect dog for you!!! I stole him off the internet so you could see him! :D

Forget about getting a terrier or beagle, pitbull or basenji (what the hell is that??lol) or any other kind of dog you may have been considering!! Get one like this:

Haha! Isn't he great?!! :D I want this dog! He's hilarious!

dog-1.jpg

LostViking

Hehe, he looks like enjoys a good couch at least.

Picking up the dog on wednesday, already been all over town to find equipment like a cage, blanket, chew-toys and a proper collar that he'll be unable to slip out of if he decides to stop or turn around (which puppies do every now and then).

I have to say I can already feel the effects of this though, the past few weeks I've felt better than ever before. I just hope the feeling will last and keep the depression away, because this is as close to awesome as it gets. Somehow I've managed to get a good boost to my self-esteem too, and it's noticeable in the small everyday things I do. I still get attacked by stuff like the feeling I walk in an odd way when I'm in a public place. But hey, I managed to go to a dressing room to try on a shirt today, and even go get a cup of coffee by myself at the mall while I was shopping today. Fair enough, I was there rather early and it wasn't too crowded, but it's still things I'd have a hard time with a month ago.

krs2snow

Yeah LostViking! You will not regret your decision to get a dog! They are wonderful companions! And, I know this is cheesy.. I mean who am I to be proud of you... but, I am proud of how you have thought this out and weighed all the possibilities. Good job! To me, that shows you are a responsible guy and are going to have a long, happy relationship with your new puppy!

O.K. So, what kind did you end up getting? Is it male or female? And, what the heck are you going to name it?

(Too bad it's not the one I suggested! You'd of had a dog, a vehicle, & a companion all in one! Haha!) :D

LostViking

Thanks krs2snow!

He's a Shiba named Taku. So far he's been fantastic. He's only 3 months old, so living in a city is still a bit scary, but he rarely barks even when he hear odd sounds. He'll get a bit hyperactive when we have visitors, deciding that the best way to make new friends is to assault them and lick them in the face until they surrender, but after a few minutes he'll calm down again. Loves hiding beneath the table in the livingroom and prefers sleeping there even while we're watching a movie or talking and laughing. If things get too busy around him I can usually put him in his cage where he feels safe so he'll get a chance to rest. Only time I've ever heard him whine was when I thought he was being a bit hyperactive due to guests and it proved he was in dire need of a toilet. The emergency was swiftly solved after a walk though, and he soon slept like a baby.

He also had a bath today, and he didn't enjoy it much so I kept it short this time (but the little bugger needs to get used to it since he'll have to get a bath before we go to any shows). Getting wet wasn't the worst thing though. When I came with a towel and attempted to get him dry he let out one of the infamous Shiba-cries that can make both your heart and windows shatter. After a few minutes he had managed to get fairly dry by himself though, so it wasn't too bad.

As for his effect on me, it's so far very positive. It's probably not going to cure my anxiety, but he forces me to talk to people who are curious about him, so I do get some practice. My depression is facing a worthy opponent though, and I feel a lot better now that I have a reason not to sleep all day, but instead get up fairly early to take him for a walk. Sitting down in front of my computer feels a lot better after I've been out with him for a good walk, and he crawls under the table to get some rest. Then he'll eventually come get me when he wants food or attention.

I can honestly suggest this to others in my situation, as long as they think it through. It's a ton of work, but it pays off every day. I guess plenty of young people let the idea fade because they have dreams of travelling, or studying abroad and such. I came to the conclusion that I could give up on the idea of having a dog for reasons such as that, but if I did I'd still suffer from social anxiety and I'd probably walk around for years with SA and depression thinking that "Someday I'll go/study to/in *insert somewhere* and things are going to be great". Then I sat down and told myself that I've already tried it, and it didn't work, and it's not going to work the next time either. I'm sick, I've got SA, it's not just going to go away, and if it does it will take years to get there. Having a dog doesn't mean that your dreams for the future needs to be trashed either, just adjusted.

I'd still like to get well enough to study a semester or a year abroad, but if I do, I'm taking Taku with me. There are already active outgoing people, (young people!) who own a pet, and also do great. There are students who go abroad and bring their pet, and also do great. It needs planning, probably years ahead, but even though it may feel like there are many doors who are closed the second you take on the responsibility of owning a dog, that doesn't mean they are locked.

I'm rambling a bit now I guess, but what I mean to say is: If you should be in my situation, and you (after thinking it through for some time) feel that you'd be able to give an animal a good home, then don't let "what if"s stop you, they can all be dealt with when you get there. I know that Taku has helped me more in a few weeks than any dose of anti-depressants ever will be able to at least.

Oh, and a picture!