Confused...Medication or Therapy which Dr to See??

thomas014

I have had social anxiety for a while now. I can remember having it since middle school (22 now). I dread giving any presentations/speeches. I will get extremely nervous/confused and my heart will race. Also I get anxiety when I have to smile for pictures/videos taken while people are watching. This seems to build anxiety which can make my smile shaky/twitch kind of, is hard to describe. Just knowing I have anything like this coming up I become obsessed with it and cannot stop thinking about it which makes it worse and often times I will do about anything to avoid this. Just thinking about it can also give me anxiety. I know I have read some things saying you should try to expose yourself to things like this but its always the same.

I used to take effexor for a while and had xanax for bad anxiety. This seemed OK but still had symptoms. Xanax helped to deal with general anxiety that I would get but I rarely took it. I stopped taking it because I felt that it was not doing much and that it was making my memory worse. I feel like I cannot remember basic things and am always misplacing things. I did great in college but I seem to not be able to retain anything anymore. Since my anxiety seemed to be getting worse I went back to my dr.(psychiatrist) and was prescribed lexapro insted of effexor and vistaril to take in place of xanax. I started taking it and felt OK the first week then upped the dose and had some of the worst anxiety I have ever had so I just stopped taking it. Now I don't know what to do.

Is there a different type of dr I should see such as a psychologist, masters level clinician, or keep a psychiatrist? Any suggestions if I should try a therapy or a different medication?

Any help/advice would be appreciated I am just a little confused on where to go right now:confused:

lyricalliaisons

For medication, it will have to be a psychiatrist. Most psychologists are not licensed to prescribe meds. But most psychiatrists don't give therapy, so for that, you will need either a psychologist or therapist. A lot of people say CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) works for them & a psychologist or therapist could help with that. If you would like to try another type of med, you could talk to a psychiatrist about Klonopin (generic clonazepam). It helps a lot of people &, for me, at least, has zero side effects, though all people are different. You could also switch psychiatrists if you feel this one isn't doing much good.
I have a great psychiatrist, luckily, but I'll soon be changing therapists because I've gotten no help from her.

thomas014

So you would recommend a psychiatrist and a therapist or psychologist to try both medication and therapy? Is Klonopin in the same family as Xanax? For some reason my psychiatrist hates xanax but I rarely take it yet I don't know what I would do if I didn't have it when I needed it.

Noca

Banned
See a psychiatrist or GP for medication and a therapist for therapy. A combination of meds and therapy is the best treatment for anxiety/depression.

Noca

Banned
So you would recommend a psychiatrist and a therapist or psychologist to try both medication and therapy? Is Klonopin in the same family as Xanax? For some reason my psychiatrist hates xanax but I rarely take it yet I don't know what I would do if I didn't have it when I needed it.

Xanax is a Benzodiazepene and so is Klonopin. You doctor hates Xanax because he/she is suffering from an illness called "benzophobia". In benzophobia, the doctors head is soo far up his/her ass that they cannot think correctly and instead of giving you a medication MEANT for anxiety they give you everything else they can throw at you that may or may not help (most likely WONT help).

lithium

Xanax is a Benzodiazepene and so is Klonopin. You doctor hates Xanax because he/she is suffering from an illness called "benzophobia". In benzophobia, the doctors head is soo far up his/her ass that they cannot think correctly and instead of giving you a medication MEANT for anxiety they give you everything else they can throw at you that may or may not help (most likely WONT help).

Hahaha, that's freaking hilarious.

Hellhound

Super Moderator

Lol! That was great