Confused about what classes as OCD.

Ryobi

In shows, movies and even in real life, those people I know with OCD are very hygenic, wash their hands constantly, can not stand dirt and have to straighten things up, put things in a certain pattern etc. However, none of them talk about having intrusive thoughts that cause anxiety. In fact one friend with OCD seems to say whatever he thinks, it can make me very stressed and anxious listening to him. If I thought the same things he said, they would be intrusive thoughts for me.

My questions are, does everyone with OCD obsess over hygiene, can not stand dirt etc? and does what my friend says and thinks, class as intrusive thoughts?

getbornagain

Don't be fooled by the media stereotype about OCD. The explanation for this stereotype is quite simple: People with Pure-O Obsessions (sexual, harm, religious, extreme intrusives, etc) are, for understandible reasons, not willing to publicly talk about their obsessions. Also, there are no visual comulsions, so an outsider would never know about the obsession without being directly told about it.... The hand-washer's compulsion is obviously visible to anybody, and constant hand-wiping, clamping and movement is also very noticeable. As a result, the most publicly viewed obsession (hand-washing) is assumed to be the full extent of OCD.

pandamonium77

There's always stereotypes for EVERYTHING.
These stereotypes are generally one type of the thing, but there are many more
Like tourettes, everyone thinks that tourettes is just a disease where people yell random swear words. Wrong.
I have OCD, i worry about germs and stuff, but I'm not tidy. In fact about 90% of people with OCD have messy working spaces, which is surprising compared to the stereotype where everything is neat and tidy and clean as a brand new whistle.

Ryobi

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately this just makes me even more confused. Will need to look into this condition more... :p

Ryobi

Hmm, a lot of these symptoms and signs I'm reading about now, they seem to be present in most of the neurotypical population. For instance, I even have a few of them...

For quite a while, when I have 'intrusive thoughts' I immediately think it's the will of god and it was already decided that I would do this certain thing. Sometimes I would break the thought by excersising free will but usually in the end, it is best to simply 'do what I was told to do'. If I have a bad thought, it is karma in some way as well. I try to catch myself at this but most of the time I can't.

I know it's a ridiculous way to view things, but it still happens.

When I walk, I have to step on the cracks in the pavement first with my left foot, then with my right and so on, so that I can remain in balance and harmony. I touch different cabinets or sit in different ways so that everything can remain in balance. When I wear certain things or are holding certain objects, I fiddle or pick at them in certain ways and have a hard time stopping, an example of this is pens, I just consistently pull them apart and put them back together without thinking about it, at all. However, many friends have said they do the same sort of thing.

I spend hours picking at my skin, I have a skin condition which means my pores are larger than normal and my skin is drier than normal. So pimples develop very easily and it's very easy to get completely lost after deciding to pick just one. I can't walk behind someone because I always think that they think I'm following them (this is due probably to social anxiety), I can't use a glass that isn't from the glass drawer, or cutlery that isn't from the cutlery drawer. These are simple hygiene things though, who knows what people are developing colds or didn't wash it.

I completely avoid touching people in arguments or competition because I am terrified I will hurt them in some way. Absolutely terrified. This is illogical seeing as I'm a 163cm tall white girl, with hardly enough muscle mass in my arms alone to lift what...20 kg?

There's a few more but I don't want to mention them.

So new question, how strong do symptoms have to be, to be defined as obsessive compulsive?

Last edited:

Tyguy

However, none of them talk about having intrusive thoughts that cause anxiety.

My questions are, does everyone with OCD obsess over hygiene, can not stand dirt etc? and does what my friend says and thinks, class as intrusive thoughts?

People with hygene related OCD absolutely have intrusive thoughts. They are constantly analyzing things such as "did I touch the gross part of the door" or "what if I touched the door knob and it was contaminated"...etc.

Point being, their minds are controlled by an inner voice...i'd call that intrusive.[/quote]

So new question, how strong do symptoms have to be, to be defined as obsessive compulsive?

They don't have to be very strong at all. Obviously there are people with OCD-like tendencies that aren't classified as having OCD, but it's when your thoughts or actions cause a problem in your life. If you find yourself obsessing over something in an illogical manner, then yes, you may have a problem. If this is the case, I'd do something about it right away before you condition yourself for a future of bad habits.

Ryobi

He doesn't voice those thoughts, maybe they affect him a lot more deeply than the other ones. He definitely does have hygene related OCD though, being controlled by an inner voice just sounds so unbearable.

it's when your thoughts or actions cause a problem in your life.

I wouldn't say the obsessions and compulsions I experience affect my day to day life overly, so that's a good thing to hear.

Thankyou for the information.