Confectionery

Capsaicin

Anyone into it?

I recently started looking into how to make some simple candies at home to bribe friends with. I've made a few messes so far, but it's been a great pastime.

Also feel free to fill up this thread with pictures of candy.

Capsaicin

I'll occasionally bake cookies, if that counts, but I don't really have that much of a sweet tooth.

I do sometimes watch 'Sweet Genius', for the reasons mentioned by the author of this article.

‘Sweet Genius’: Ron Ben-Israel is the Scariest Man on Television - The Daily Beast

Lollipops aren't that much more complicated, and they're super customizable. ;)

I think I may have seen Sweet Genius, or at least something similar to it. I'm envious of anyone who can think up anything to do with mystery ingredients, and especially anyone who can work with people shouting and a Peking duck being thrown into the mix. I'd just cry into my chocolate.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I'm envious of anyone who can think up anything to do with mystery ingredients, and especially anyone who can work with people shouting and a Peking duck being thrown into the mix. I'd just cry into my chocolate.
Yep. I'm quite certain I would completely fall apart under the strain. I get stressed just watching it sometimes, but I still like it. :bigsmile:

Sweet Genius - Glistening Genius Episode - YouTube

So you mostly do lollipops, then?

Capsaicin

Yep. I'm quite certain I would completely fall apart under the strain. I get stressed just watching it sometimes, but I still like it. :bigsmile:

Sweet Genius - Glistening Genius Episode - YouTube

So you mostly do lollipops, then?

It's a whole new kind of creativity, and unlike paintings you can eat it. :bigsmile:

Tater tots and jellyfish... what? My first idea was that if the dessert wasn't too sweet, the tater tots could become the crunchy outer shell of a jelly-like or jelly-flavored interior. You know, like the top of a jellyfish or something, and a drizzle of more jelly around it could be the tentacles, kind of like the girl did. Then I remembered it was supposed to be frozen.

I've done mostly lollipops so far, but I'm looking into chocolates. I think if I could make a box of my own banana and hazelnut ones I could die happy.

I've wanted to make homemade candies for a while now. I just haven't actually gotten started. Plus you need a special thermometer, right? The only thing I could probably make is rock candy :p

I really want to make my own homemade fudge, though... good god, I want some now. I recently got some at a local farm and it was so good, I had two pieces and only planned on eating one but I couldn't resist and ate the second :shyness: YUM! Anyone have any fudge they're willing to share?

Can you make your own gummies at home too, with pectin or gelatin or something? I'm sure you probably can. I'd like to try that.

Edit: actually, this recipe for homemade gummy bears sounds absolutely amazing: http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/post/42764785751

Last edited: