Computer help please?? I messed up

cowboyup

It's been a LONG time since posting and instead of ranting about my anxiety/depression/SA issues, I am in dire need of any computer help here

Here's the story: We went on a hiking trip to AZ and I took a ton of photos of the kids, family, nature. When we got home, I popped in the SD card from the computer and immediately transferred photos to my desktop where I then put them onto a flash drive. OK, I know that the SD card is fine. However, I really, REALLY screwed up regarding the flash drive. I admit it. :shyness:

I got a *good deal* on a 128 gb on a popular website and thought, holy cow...AWESOME! Yeah...NO.

So...long story short: the effing cheap-o crap flash drive ate my pics and docs.

Lesson learned.

Now the aftermath of my stupidity...I freaked of course, losing all the photos and some docs I had in Word. I immediately searched and found Wondershare and Recuva and bought both programs...hmmm..another dumbass move on my part-well, that's why I am here.

I could have bought 1 program but nooo, why stop there when one doesn't work just buy another one...

so now I have the 'recovered' files, photos sitting on my computer but cannot open any of the pictures or documents. When I go to open in the picture viewer in Windows 8.1 (the default picture opener I guess) it tells me that the file is corrupt, too big or can not view.

So, now what??? I have googled the problem, but I can't figure it out. :kickingmyself::kickingmyself:

So, am I totally screwed and just chalk it up to a big lesson learned or is there still hope?

Thanks in advance my good people :thumbup:

*thinking to myself of all the *why didn't I...*
ugh....

aloneloner

you say the flash drive 'ate' your files.
do you mean they are no longer on the the drive?
or the drive no longer works..

Last edited:

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
It may be something as simple as downloading something to extract the files, such as WinRar. (a free program).

Going by what you've said and what I've personally experienced in the past, I hate to say it but it sounds like your files may be corrupted.

I also went to buy a huge SD for all my files, pics etc from when I went to New Zealand but was warned against it.
I was advised to buy smaller ones so if I lost one or it became corrupted, I wouldn't lose everything.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

- do any of the recovered files open ok? it may be only some that are corrupt

- if you rename a corrupted file, does it open ok?

- have you tried recovering the pics from the SD card or the flash drive? worth a try