Competitive Anxiety

tucktick

Does anyone get really really anxious when they are competing, for instance when I usually play basketball with my brother or with anyone else for that matter, I get really anxious right when I'm about to win. This usually costs me the game, I mean its ridiculous. I was playing with my bro today was kicking ass 10 to 5, needed 1 point to win, but I flaked. This other time I was playing pool with this guy who sucked at it, I had most of my balls (pool balls) in and he ended up winning, even though I'm pretty good at pool, ****ing nerves. This really worries me because I recently decided to start a band and I'm the lead singer and guitarist for that band. Now I feel like I'm gonna end up making a fool out of myself, but I guess I'm still gonna do it. Yeah, have u ever felt this way?

wo.

Yes I have felt like this in the past when I was a kid, but I was also a really sore loser back then... I would throw a tantrum whenever I lost :p. How comfortably are you with losing? Do you get angry or feel embarrassed/ashamed when you lose? Overcoming this and realizing that it is okay to lose (no one is perfect after all) helped me and now I don't experience this sort of anxiety as much.

tucktick

I'm pretty comfortable with losing if I know that the other person is better than me, but if I know that I lost a game because of my anxiety I tend to be mad at myself, not at others. I don't feel uncomfortable about loosing, but about the incapability of reaching my full potential, it scares me, makes me think that I can never be the best I can be. ::(:

this_portrait

I feel this way when it comes to doing well in school. I focus so much on it that I lose concentration and end up not getting the grades and feedback I want anyway.