Compensatory sweating after underarm botox

Boxer86

Hi, I'm new here :)

I suffered from underarm hyperhidrosis since puberty (I'm now 27) and just over 4 years ago had botox underarms and ever since have suffered from compensatory sweating of the hairline, back, groin, legs and feet. On a calm day to day basis it is no where near as bad as the underarms were pre-botox but it's a massive problem and embarassment when I exercise, or even just a brisk walk.

Before I had the botox done, I used Odaban underarms and this worked fantastic (I only had the botox done so I wouldn't have to use anything at all).

Since having the botox, I now use Odaban everywhere I now sweat, and this helps delay the sweating in the first few mins of a workout, but no where near to the extent I look and feel 'normal'.

Looking through previous posts on this site I have read about 2 other members who experienced this and have sent msgs to, but unfortunately are no longer active on here.

My question basically is, has anyone else experienced CS after botox and if so how long did it take for the botox to wear-off?? and did your sweating areas then return to how they were to start with?
Its been over 4 years since my botox and I STILL barely sweat a drop from my armpits; so I'm hoping the botox will wear off soon and I can go back to using Odaban just under my arms, but I'm getting less and less hopeful the more time that passes.

Sorry for such a long post, and thank u in advance to any replys x x

P.S, I have been to my GP who ran bloods for any underline generalised sweating conditions but all came back 'normal' lol :)

Sprawling

It seems rare that Botox would last 4 years. The human body is simply amazing. We stop sweat in one area, only for it to appear in another. Hopefully the Botox will wear off.

Boxer86

I know it does seem such a long time and I couldn't believe it at all either. I did some research though and found a clinic in New Zealand who treated a male chef and his results lasted 3 years before he needed to come back for more underarm botox, so this news gives me a little bit of hope.

DermoDav

I have been doing BOTOX for axillary HH for 10 years, so far no personal reports of compensatory HH, but I know it s very very rare. Most commonly if HH occurs elsewhere it is co- incidental.

As a guide, Botox lasts 6.2 months. I have patients who have 2 months relief, conversely some last 8 months. Highly variable.

Some patients need 70 units, some need 150 units. Depends on area of sweating.

SaintChains

I had Botox injections for axillary HH recently. Prior to the treatment, the arms were the worst affected area, with a little sweating in groin and backside (or a lot when I exercise). Since having the injections, my arms are really comfortable, but the sweating in the groin and back (butt) has markedly increased. This is disappointing, as it feels less like the win I was hoping for and more like a trade-off.

Anybody have any suggestions for this?

DermoDav

Hummm.. tough one. It does sound like a trade off, very unusual to have compensatory HH after Botox.
OK...a few solutions.
1. Rexona sport or Dove Clinical to areas of sweating
2. Glycopyrrolate spray 1% once to twice a day to the compensatory areas.
3. Short burst of anti-cholinergic meds (propantheline bromide etc...) to get things under control
4. A combination of the above.

Let

Hi, I'm also suffering with compensatory sweating (CS) after underarm botox!

In my case the cause of the underarm hyperhidrosis (HH) was 2 sessions of laser hair removal almost 4 years ago (I'm in contact with other people with this same side effect).

It was not possible to control the underarm HH with antiperspirants, so I started to use botox. With the 1st and 2nd botox applications I had no CS, but after the 3rd I started to realize an abnormal sweating in other areas. Now, after the 5th botox application, the CS is clearly observed and very intense in my abdominal and pubic area.

The difference of the "original" underam HH and the CS is that in the first one, the excessive sweating was triggered by hot weather or any small nervous stimulus, while the CS is related only with the hot weather. It could be an advantage if I didn't live in a Brazilian city where we have 9 months of summer per year, reaching more 30 degrees every day...

I would like to point that both side effects (the HH due to laser and the CS due to botox) were not considered as possibilities by the dermatologist that I visit (the same one who did the laser). For me, and for everybody who suffers with the same problems, the causes are very clear and obvious, but the doctors still insist in not believe in us.