Coming off Effexor

Luna1740

I was wandering if anyone else had any experience with this, as I am currently beginning to taper off of the drug and was looking for any experiences that my friends here at SCW have had. As I hear that for some it is an incredibly hellish experience. I hope that everyone out there is having a great night

x000x

I took Effexor for quite a while. I was told not to stop taking it immediately because I could experience some really uncomfortable withdrawal, which varies from person to person. When I eventually stopped taking it I didn't really experience any bad effects. I did have this weird feeling once in a while that felt like my head suddenly got very light for a few seconds. That only lasted a few days though and I don't know if stopping the medication had anything to do with it. If you start experiencing effects that are too uncomfortable to handle, you may want to call the person who prescribed you the medication and see what they say to do.

kay361

I was wandering if anyone else had any experience with this, as I am currently beginning to taper off of the drug and was looking for any experiences that my friends here at SCW have had. As I hear that for some it is an incredibly hellish experience. I hope that everyone out there is having a great night

Prozac is the way to go. Find a doctor who will switch you to Prozac first. I have gotten off of it without Prozac before but yes, IT IS HELLISH. Here's roughly how I did it.

Normal Effexor XR 150mg/day
Week 1 Effexor XR 112.5mg/day (75mg cap + 37.5mg cap, or use three 37.5mg caps)
Week 2 Effexor XR 75mg/day (if you only have 37.5mg caps, use two)
Week 3 Effexor XR 35mg/day + Prozac 10mg/day
Week 4 Prozac 10mg/day
Week 5 Prozac 5mg/day (must split 10mg TABLETS, so be sure your initial prescription is for TABLETS, not CAPSULES)
Week 6 NOTHING

Of course your doctor will give you a schedule to follow, but since most doctors are CLUELESS, I always find it helpful to kindly make SUGGESTIONS. :) Where you may have problems is going from Week 3 to Week 4 and this can be eased by continuing the Effexor 35mg/day + Prozac 10mg/day for a longer period of time to let the Prozac build up in your bloodstream longer before you nix the Effexor.

More tips:

Antidepressant Withdrawal - Tips to Reduce Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms

Last edited: