Comfort to people with SAD

I read a previous post that touched my heart about someone who believes that he suffers from SAD in order to better help other people who suffer from it.

SAD is one of those things that you can only understand if you've experienced it, and no trained doctor or counsellor could adequately understand it from reading a book.

I believe that I also once suffered so that I would now be able to help other people who experience SAD. I don't really have issues with people anymore and I can even work as a sales person at a retail store !!! (a nightmare for some I know :D)

Understand these things.

1. Even the most outgoing/extroverted people say awkward things.

In fact, I would be willing to bet that extroverts say awkward/inconsiderate things MORE OFTEN than people with SAD. The difference is that those extroverts simply don't notice it (because they are not as sensitive) or simply don't care about it (because they're jerks)

2. "Normal" people fall into comfort zones. They just go on auto-pilot and their behavior in social situations are often just mechanical, robotic habits that happen without thought.

People with SAD often don't do this. They actually attach meaning to the conversation at hand/ value the person they are speaking with. But the price they pay is that things that would have no effect on someone who was just making mechanical responses, affect them.

If you don't believe me that people often just act mechanically in social situations. Observe how the most outgoing, extroverted person you know would react in a situation where they are taken out their comfort zone and can't rely on mechanical responses. They freeze up like a deer in the headlights !!! ;) This is why they act different around people with SAD. It's because of THEIR shortcomings, not yours. It's THEIR inability to deal with a novel situation that actually requires more than the rehearsed, mechanical response.

I'm trying to drive this point home because people with SAD often beat themselves up after an extrovert clams up and acts differently around them.

Now that I'm more comfortable, I often try to shake people out of their comfort zone just to wake them up. Receptionists at the desk are often great candidates for this. It's not that I'm trying to be malicious or anything, it just proves again how people often rely on a mechanical, robotic response and then appear as if they are outgoing, extroverted.

People with SAD should actually be proud of themselves for having the ability to want to more than just regurgitate rehearsed, mechanical thoughtless responses. Stop beating yourselves up.

Rise Against

i completely agree with you, when im around people im comfortable with like my friends and family i can talk a lot without even thinking... but if im around unfamiliar people i cant function.

Yea, I came that far with my healing that I realized about a month ago it has really nothing to do with me if someone can not handle me.

SickJoke

Hey welcome to the forum :D Thanks for the helpful post, I like what you're doing.

I'm just curious about one paragraph:
If you don't believe me that people often just act mechanically in social situations. Observe how the most outgoing, extroverted person you know would react in a situation where they are taken out their comfort zone and can't rely on mechanical responses. They freeze up like a deer in the headlights !!! ;)

The most outgoing, extroverted person I know is able to adapt to any social situation that he faces. That's the beauty of mastering social skills: they hold true in all social encounters.

This is why they act different around people with SAD. It's because of THEIR shortcomings, not yours. It's THEIR inability to deal with a novel situation that actually requires more than the rehearsed, mechanical response.

Well this depends on the unique interaction, but normally the SAD sufferer is responsible for the awkwardness. He's the one entering the conversation terrified, and fear is contagious.

Again, thanks for the post. I hope you'll keep making threads like this, it was very interesting:)

SickJoe, your posts was one the reasons that made me want to come here and post my perspective on overcoming SAD.

Hey welcome to the forum :D Thanks for the helpful post, I like what you're doing.

I'm just curious about one paragraph:

The most outgoing, extroverted person I know is able to adapt to any social situation that he faces. That's the beauty of mastering social skills: they hold true in all social encounters.

Truth but the key point is that that is something only people who work hard at mastering social skills can do. It's a skill to be worked on and developed, not something that humans should naturally be expected to do. People with SAD don't often realize this aspect of it being a skill, and that they don't really need to be at that mastery level, they just need to be at a functioning level.

Well this depends on the unique interaction, but normally the SAD sufferer is responsible for the awkwardness. He's the one entering the conversation terrified, and fear is contagious.

I know that more nuances are involved in social situations, but I deliberately simplified the scenarios in my original post because my primary goal is to help people stop beating themselves up. To stop singling themselves out as having a shortcoming. I know that when I used to have SAD, this self-defeating attitude was the biggest obstacle. People often don't know how to react to someone who seems shy/introverted, and the person with SAD shouldn't always take all the blame for it.

SickJoke

SickJoe, your posts was one the reasons that made me want to come here and post my perspective on overcoming SAD.

:eek: Wow that means a lot. That's awesome man, I hope you'll keep posting!

Truth but the key point is that that is something only people who work hard at mastering social skills can do. It's a skill to be worked on and developed, not something that humans should naturally be expected to do. People with SAD don't often realize this aspect of it being a skill, and that they don't really need to be at that mastery level, they just need to be at a functioning level.

Yeah, I agree it definitely takes work, and it's never too late to start.

I know that more nuances are involved in social situations, but I deliberately simplified the scenarios in my original post because my primary goal is to help people stop beating themselves up. To stop singling themselves out as having a shortcoming. I know that when I used to have SAD, this self-defeating attitude was the biggest obstacle. People often don't know how to react to someone who seems shy/introverted, and the person with SAD shouldn't always take all the blame for it.

True, it works both ways. Both people involved in a conversation are responsible. Good stuff, thanks again for the post.