College majors... Hating group work for mine.

accidentprone

Many people have told me that engineering is a great major for introverts... I've found the opposite to be true. My uni has several engineering courses as prerequisites where we have labs and work in groups daily. I tend not to participate because I just get really nervous. My partners usually ignore me or speak over me anyway. *Shrugs* I don't particularly enjoy these types of environments and IDK whether I should stick it out -- no matter how much I end up enjoying the core classes for EE... Any advice on how to deal with the dreaded group work? My classes for next semester are going to require even more group work. Puh.

Just out of curiosity. In what subjects are you guys majoring? How are your experiences with them? Are they better suited for more introverted people? I'm not going to switch or anything but I may look into them.

Thanks and sorry for the rant, haha.

Last edited:

Megaten

Im majoring in Medical Lab Science and have another one in Biology. Umm I would say that there isnt much group work but we always work in lab with a partner. Theres a lot of oral presentations too. I chose that over nursing or something else because I dont want to have to deal with people too much on the job, but it seems to me like a lot of Universities kinda force students to learn how to work as a team I guess as part of the curriculum. My best advice I would say is become more comfortable with not saying too much if people are set on talking over you. If im in a loud group Ill keep to myself unless it either gets quiet or people ask me for my input. Some days it still makes me feel left out but Ive been working with a counselor to learn how to speak up when I absolutely must be heard. School is good exposure therapy thats for sure.