Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

AsTimeBurns

My parents keep suggested it to me, but I don't really know much about it.

Has anyone tried it? What sort of thing did it actually involve in your case? And did you find it useful at all?

Cheers.

teandtoast

My parents & GP recommended I do it...there's even a place up the road that do it for free on the NHS...but I've some how procrastinated not doing it for about a year now...really should get on and try it.

Interested to hear also how people find it

JackOfSpades

I procrastinated about doing any of it for a long time too. Last year DBT came on to my radar but I put that off too. Just before joining here a few months ago I bought a book on DBT. Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook. And immediately I took something practical away from it. I feel much more grounded, functional, less anxious, and instinctive socially.

It's about understanding that how we think effects how we feel and act; applying that, you can recognise unhelpful thinking patterns and change how you think about a situation, which flows through to how you act in that situation.

This gives a before/after example
CBT-grid.gif

JackOfSpades

For years I spent time touching upon Buddhism because of some of the meditative aspects but I had a hard time applying or just giving in to certain aspects that might have been helpful, because they were too spiritual for me. Dialectical Behavior Therapy marries aspects of cognitive therapy with meditative mindsets in a secular way.

I'm Not There

I've done it for about a year and a half. It took away some of my minor anxieties, such as asking for stuff in a store, entering a classroom when everyone's already seated, etc. Other homework that my psychologist gave me, however, I never did because... well I just couldn't bring myself to it. It was too hard for me. This included suggesting going for a drink with classmates, giving people compliments, ... In the end I just quit because it was draining me financially (40, later on even 45 euros for a 50 minute session) and I didn't see the results I wanted.

It might work in your case, though. If you do the homework that they give you, you ought to see results eventually. Maybe get an official diagnosis first of what you're suffering from. I went there thinking it was just a case of social phobia, whereas in the end I think it might've been more than that.

Remus

Staff member
It's something you learn and have to keep on doing, not a case of a 6 month course and you are cured. It works for me. It is a slow process and like everything else, there is no magic pill, just hard work.

AsTimeBurns

Is it the kind of thing you think really requires going to sessions and paying for? or has anyone managed to get similar results by just putting the effort in themselves?

SoScared

Is it the kind of thing you think really requires going to sessions and paying for? or has anyone managed to get similar results by just putting the effort in themselves?
I tried using the self-help CBT books for a couple of years but got nowhere.
Seeing a qualified CBT therapist set me on the road to recovery. I had about 8 sessions and I apply her ‘insights’ every day. Expensive but money well spent.

hexagon_sun

I had a thorough work-up done at a CBT center in RI and it was extremely helpful in identifying my issues. I didn't actually get involved in any of the excercises because of insurance, but I was given basic run down of what's envolved. It gives you percpective. It's not a cure but certainly makes life easier to manage.