Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

Feathers

Go read The Feeling Good Handbook by Dr David Burns - it gives a great introduction to CBT.. Some people online wrote it's better than some CBT therapists, or at least can explain things better... It was very helpful to me...
A good therapist could also be great, some people on this forum had good experiences... Personally have only read the books...

It depends how bad your problems are, and what they are, and how quickly you need help, and if you're willing to read books (or listen to tapes) and do exercises at home at all..
From what I read on this forum, some people had good experience, some mixed and some bad... Sometimes you need to see a few therapists to find someone you 'click' with... It may be more about personality and worldview, or what type of therapy they practise too, and in what way.. what they specialize in (if at all) and what your problems are...

Steve23

I finished up a 10 week long anxiety group that was structured around CBT. I have to say it helped me personally more than I expected it to. I used to suffer from depression and severe social anxiety and was referred to the group from my GP. My anxiety has lessened significantly where I almost find it a non issue in day-to-day situations. The techniques are really useful as long as you remember to continue applying them. If you can, try and seek a CBT based anxiety program. I tried to learn CBT on my own several times, but always seemed to find myself lacking motivation or just not putting the effort into applying what I read.

I do agree with Feathers on the book by David Burns though. It's a good book to get introduced to it and learn what it's about.