Co-Workers...

Quiet Angel

Is it tough to connect with any of your co-workers? When I began working at my job, I was immediately welcomed & faced with social opportunities. Generally, when I'm faced with people, I place in my best effort to smile and be friendly! I also try to laugh a bit to show that I'm not so aloof. Apparently, those efforts were pointless, because eventually, they stopped talking to me entirely. They used to only say, "Hi, how are you?" but now it's nothing. They don't dislike me, but they don't understand me. They appear indifferent to my presence, but in reality, they're probably very confused by me & choose not to place a quarter in a machine to get it to talk. Although I enjoy my job immensely, I don't have any connection with the co-workers and that makes me feel lonesome. The change was so dramatic, y'know?

Day one: Welcome! We're so happy to have you helping us!
What's your name? What school do you go to?? Interests/hobbies??
Week one: ....

It's the same in college. Surprisingly, High School was wonderfully easy to make connections in. I wonder why that is? I've always had the same level of phobia. *hmm* ...

Last edited:

Harleyq

Your situation is pretty much like mine. This year I made a friend from work but she's the only friend. Everyone else does the indifferent game with me, too. At my last job a couple of years ago, I wasn't friends with anyone. They'd make small talk once in a while but I spent most of my free time at work alone.

I don't know what it is, either. I guess our anxiety just shines through.

Dudley

It's the same in college. Surprisingly, High School was wonderfully easy to make connections in. I wonder why that is? I've always had the same level of phobia. *hmm* ...

I think it's because in high school you're pretty much all forced to take most of the same classes. It was like that in my high school anyway. In college everyone just kind of scatters once the class finishes.

But I agree, connecting with people on something beyond just being polite is already tough without adding anxiety to the equation.

PennyLane

Yup this is exactly me too. Like you I try my very hardest to smile and be nice etc but its very hard to keep up the social aspect and eventually they realise there is no point. I've worked in loads of places and this always happens.

The same as you, I dont think people dislike me, but they don't warm to me either. Everyone talks to me and invites me to things but eventually I just confuse them.

I guess its our body language and demeanor.

My problem is also that I look confident so they sometimes end up thinking im choosing not to be social and im just a miserable person.

WishingICould

Is it tough to connect with any of your co-workers? When I began working at my job, I was immediately welcomed & faced with social opportunities. Generally, when I'm faced with people, I place in my best effort to smile and be friendly! I also try to laugh a bit to show that I'm not so aloof. Apparently, those efforts were pointless, because eventually, they stopped talking to me entirely. They used to only say, "Hi, how are you?" but now it's nothing. They don't dislike me, but they don't understand me. They appear indifferent to my presence, but in reality, they're probably very confused by me & choose not to place a quarter in a machine to get it to talk. Although I enjoy my job immensely, I don't have any connection with the co-workers and that makes me feel lonesome. The change was so dramatic, y'know?

Day one: Welcome! We're so happy to have you helping us!
What's your name? What school do you go to?? Interests/hobbies??
Week one: ....

Eurgh... Don't get me started. Most of my "co-workers" act like i'm invisible Because i'm quiet that must mean i'm stuck up? They're judgemental as hell and i can't stand being around them. Oh, and my boss is a dick who shouts at people.