Childhood OCD/ assigning colors to letters and numbers. (Synesthesia or anxiety?)

superario

Sorry again for posting yet another thread. :cool:

I've tried to get answers for this elsewhere before but was never really satisfied. I thought maybe I'd try it here.

A while ago I was introduced to something called "synesthesia". When I did a little research, I found out how color assigning/categorizing letters and numbers and the like is a common trait in people who are synesthetes.

Here's the wiki link for all who are not familiar with the term.
Synesthesia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, I was surprised to hear they did that because I distinctly recall doing something similar when I was a kid. The thing is, I don't know if I did it because I had OCD or simply because I was a synesthete. I don't remember much, just that 7 and S were definitely yellows and H and 8 were green and T and 5 were blues. Just made sense in my head.

Has anyone else gone through something like this? A phase? Or is it possible that I had synesthesia as a child? I don't know how one would have synesthesia and then just have it go away. Is that possible?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. :D

superario

:D

I have smelled purple before though.::p:

I don't think I've ever smelt a color before. That's also a trait of synesthesia. I think it would be quite interesting though. When I think of purple, I think it would smell nice...kind of fruity maybe.

What did it smell like?