Cbt

Beyondshy

I haven't tried CBT so I don't know much about it. It's to do with changing thought patterns from negative to positive, right? So when you don't receive a reply to an email you sent to a friend, instead of thinking it's because they don't like you, CBT encourages to think more positively. They might be having internet problems so they can't reply, something like that. Is that the basic idea? My question is... Isn't this just fooling yourself in a way?

jennismortal

Comprehensive cognitive behavior therapies have been proved to be more effective than behavioral interventions. However, the efficacy of CBT is not studied in the Indian context and also, the amount of change brought about by CBT is not known. Aims: This study aims to examine the efficacy of cognitive behavioral intervention (CBI) in the treatment of panic disorder. However, the efficacy of CBT is not studied in the Indian context and also, the amount of change brought about by CBT is not known. Aims: This study aims to examine the efficacy of cognitive behavioral intervention in the treatment of panic disorder. Our specific objectives were to assess the effectiveness of CBI in reducing symptom severity as well as cognitions related to panic and panic-related behaviors.

Sinar_Matahari

I haven't tried CBT so I don't know much about it. It's to do with changing thought patterns from negative to positive, right? So when you don't receive a reply to an email you sent to a friend, instead of thinking it's because they don't like you, CBT encourages to think more positively. They might be having internet problems so they can't reply, something like that. Is that the basic idea? My question is... Isn't this just fooling yourself in a way?

Thinking rationally is not fooling oneself. CBT is not about unrealistic positive affirmations. It just helps you unlearn all the negativity caused by irrational thoughts and beliefs. It teaches you a new and rational way of thinking about things.

NothingElseMatters

when i did cbt it was more like going from negative to neutral and then positive.
about the fooling yourself part...well if u r thinking negative u r already fooling yourself so y not do it positively...

evie

The Cognitive Therapy part of CBT is concerned with learning to recognise the negative and irrational thoughts which contribute to your social anxiety, challenging these thoughts, and replacing them with more realistic thoughts. CBT is not about replacing irrational thoughts with brand spanking new irrational thoughts. It hasn't worked for everyone on this forum, but there is some evidence that CBT may be the most effective treatment for SA.

Sinar_Matahari

I recently went to a doctor who basically just prescribes psychotropic medication. She said that CBT has to be done in unison with medication but I know that I do not need medication! I personally do not believe in taking medication. I've read that CBT doesn't necessarily need to be combined with medication. Has anyone done CBT and not needed medication?

Ellabella

Hi,

I am having CBT for social phobia, when I first went to see my gp to tell him how I was feeling he just referred me for counselling. I never asked for medication and he never offered it to me.

My therapist has also never mentioned anything about medication.