Career Options?

Lonelyheart

Hi, my name is Lonelyheart. I suffer from severe social anxiety disorder. I am currently attending college and I'm having a very difficult time deciding on a career. The majors that I'm interested in lead to careers that involve too much social interaction, and the majors that lead to careers that don't involve social interaction do not interest me. I continuously waver between choosing a career that I know I can do and choosing a career that interest me.

I'm currently pursuing a degree in kinesiology (physical education), and intended to use this degree to pursue a masters in physical therapy. When I made the decision to pursue a degree in kinesiology, I was optimistic and under the impression that I would some day get over my anxiety. Recently I've been contemplating this decision with realism and rational; and I have come to the conclusion that I will probably never overcome my social anxiety; as a result, it would be futile for me to pursue a career that involves a great deal of social interaction.

My questions to all forum members is.....

What careers are you-all pursuing or currently engaged in?

For those of you working jobs that involve a great deal of social interaction; how are you coping with the anxiety? Do you regret choosing a career that involves significant social interaction or are you happy you decided to do what interest you?

For those of you who chose not to pursue the career you desired because of your social anxiety; are you happy or regretful of your decision?

Does anybody have suggestions for college level graduate careers, besides computer science and engineering, that don't involve significant and/or changing social interaction?

Emma

I chose data entry, so I don't have to talk to anyone, problem is the phone next to me rings and I sit there like an idiot and don't answer it

SqueakyGibson

I've never had a full-time job. The kind of job I'd like is one where I get to sit in the corner of an office all day, left alone, no pressure, perhaps 2 or 3 nice colleagues to chat with.

I don't know if that's possible.

missquiet

i'm in the same situation as you. i plan on doing a degree in education (primary) but right now i'm working on a BA in history/spanish as my teachables. it's the only thing i've ever wanted to do but i didn't know i had SA before so now i have no idea if i'll be able to handle it as a career after university is finished.

i've tried volunteering in schools and worked at a daycare to get exposed to it all and i'm comfortable and outgoing around the kids but they don't listen to me cause i'm not assertive enough..they just take me as another student/friend..and when a teacher or another adult is in the room that's when my sa takes over.

Emma said:
I chose data entry, so I don't have to talk to anyone, problem is the phone next to me rings and I sit there like an idiot and don't answer it

yeah same..i get really bored after a while though, lol. and other people there try to make me socialize with them sometimes.

IceLad

I did data entry for eight months for the organisation I currently work for, before being moved to another section. Although it wasn't the most exciting thing I've done, I found that it minimised SP symptons and I was reasonably comfortable in it. I was well annoyed when I was moved off it. :evil:

Having said that though, I really wish I could follow a career of my liking rather than have to significantly compromise my choice due to SP, which I've done for too long now. :evil:

pjam76

Careers..

It really depends on what you want.. If you just want to jump from job to job, then there are tons of things out there... If you really want a career that will provide for yourself and family in the future, there really is no such thing as a non-talkative career.

IT and computer type of work used to be for those who were stuck in the basement and didn't really talk to anybody.. That is far from the case now.. While not every job will require you to speak to everybody, most will require you to communicate..

My advice is find whatever you can to deal with SA/SP.. Because the fact is, if you want a career, you will have to at least communicate with people once in a while. If you dont, you'll be out on the streets and living in a cardboard box..

Nobody wants that, but unless you have wealthy parents or a wealthy spouse, everything today is centered around Communication.. Yeah, y ou don't have to sell things, but the fact is, if you can't sell yourself, you'll probably never be able to get a great job and career..

So pick something you like and find some kind of way to deal with it.... Yeah maybe it won't be easy and yeah maybe you won't be some great salesperson nor ever want to be, but you will have to learn to communicate with others the further along in your career you go.

Nobody will really want to hire a 45 year old person who never speaks to anybody and has no real references.

C_jo

lol, I'm in the middle of a drama degree. I have absolutely no idea what I'm gonna do at the end of it all. Its pretty much the only subject I really know and my sa has just grown worse and worse through the years.

Waybuloo

Re: Careers..

pjam76 said:
It really depends on what you want.. If you just want to jump from job to job, then there are tons of things out there... If you really want a career that will provide for yourself and family in the future, there really is no such thing as a non-talkative career.

IT and computer type of work used to be for those who were stuck in the basement and didn't really talk to anybody.. That is far from the case now.. While not every job will require you to speak to everybody, most will require you to communicate..

My advice is find whatever you can to deal with SA/SP.. Because the fact is, if you want a career, you will have to at least communicate with people once in a while. If you dont, you'll be out on the streets and living in a cardboard box..

Nobody wants that, but unless you have wealthy parents or a wealthy spouse, everything today is centered around Communication.. Yeah, y ou don't have to sell things, but the fact is, if you can't sell yourself, you'll probably never be able to get a great job and career..

So pick something you like and find some kind of way to deal with it.... Yeah maybe it won't be easy and yeah maybe you won't be some great salesperson nor ever want to be, but you will have to learn to communicate with others the further along in your career you go.

Nobody will really want to hire a 45 year old person who never speaks to anybody and has no real references.

That is very true. I think the most important thing they really want is someone who can communicate, and interact and have people skills...even for an accountant. Yea u'd think accountant deals iwth numbers all day and are boring. Ironically the accounting profession tries very hard to dispel that impression by stressing the importnace of communciation. How many times have i heard among the top requirements by an accounting firm that u need to have great communciations skills, people skills, leadership etc etc.

I've gone to a group interview where they basically sit around the room observing u talk to eachother and then make u do presentations.

Drew

Unfortunately, communication skills play a larger role these days. Well, for most “career” type jobs anyway.

I got into IT because I thought I could do a decent job without having to really interact with people. I thought I could rely on my technical skills to make up for the fact that I was scared to leave my cubicle.

I spent 4 years avoiding things like, attending meetings, taking part in presentations, meeting with customers, and mingling with my co-workers.

Every single person from my work-group was promoted during my time there – except for me, that is.

I’m sure my bosses looked at my shyness and lack of participation as a lack of interest. They wanted team players. Go-getters that would take the initiative and make things happen. Not a nobody that was perfectly content working quietly alone.

Eventually, I was forced to resign. My job description changed to the point that I was unable to fulfill my duties because of my social anxiety.

Corporations can be very unforgiving. Things are either black or white. There’s no thought or compassion given to anyone that isn’t part of the team. And they certainly don’t understand things like social anxiety.

scatmantom

Im studying in IT and have done a years placement working in technical support. I much prefer to work with people rather than the traditional IT job locked in the basement programming.

I want a job as a systems analyst dealing with clients when i graduate in the summer. Really dont think a job in front of a computer all day is what i want for the rest of my life. Not only is it boring but its very anti-social...and altho I have social anxiety...it doesnt mean i want social exclusion :D

Brad38

I did manage to finish college with a bachelors in psychology.But the problem was the most careers involving psychology involve alot of interaction. To be honest I went into psychology for myself more than a career.
So about 10 years ago I found a job as a long distance courier. You do use your own car and you drive about 300 miles a day. But my take home pay is $65.000 a year. And thats after gas, maintanance and taxes. I M like MY OWN BOSS. The only time I interact is at my stops, and thats usually like 5 minutes at the most.

Brad38

Before that I was into graphic design and data entry and worked at home.
Did that for 5 years and a big mistake. I came into contact with no one. I was practically a hermit. I came to the conclusion that telecommuting is NOT for the social phobic person. It will just reinforce that avoidant behavior. We have to some human contact everyday

thequietone

Yeah, I'm studying art......it's the only think I could think of to do, it's the only thing I really enjoy besides being around animals and you need SCIENCE to do that and I dislike science.
I have no idea what I'm going to do with a BFA in illustration, which is what I love the most. My dream is to write and illustrate books. Who knows. I don't have too much of a problem working a regular job, maybe at an Art museum? and doing my artwork on the side.
We'll see.
Thinking about the future gives me a tummy ache!! 8O

Nubly

hello. im trying to be a nurse. trying because ive dropped four classes due to SA. i know a job like this wont affect my SA. its when i have to deal with groups that i have problems with. currently, i do medical billing. i have to talk to a lot of different people and that doesnt bother me anymore. it used to but i have improved on my SA a lot.

i work for some radiologists. you might look into that. they are doctors that read radiology reports and dictate them. they dont see patients and make more money than a GP

I've set my sights on data entry or a library shelving(which I had a little experience with in high school). Right now it's just a pipe dream. I wouldn't know where to start with finding a job. My little brother just turned 17 and he's about to surpass me in that regard.

PhantomPod

I'm currently majoring in International Business, with a concentration in Operations Management. I believe that any job I get out of this will have a great deal of human interaction. However, I feel that I'm prepared for it. There are times where I start feeling down and have thoughts like I could never do a job like that and that I should just be an Accountant or something, some job where I just sit behind my little desk not tlaking to anyone.

I even went so far as changing my major to Accounting during this past summer because these negative thoughts were getting to me so much. I came to my senses though before the start of the school year, and switched back to my original major of International Business. And I'm glad that I've decided to stick with it. I get down now and then thinking "oh God, I don't think I can handle a job like this," but I just try not to let it get to me.