Can't smile in social life

A367

Hi, guys. I am new in here and looking for help. When I am in social situation, I can't show a nature and relaxed smile to people. If I do, my cheek muscle will shake and get out of control like crying face, then my whole face will become so tense. This started like 4 years ago, nobody knows what I have been through those years. I was a very outgoing people and enjoy to talk to people, having fun with friends and trying to be nice to everybody. Now, the nicer I try to be, the more I want to show my friendly smile and I just can't. Now, my smile is social disaster. When I am extremly nevous, my smile face will turn to a very weird (imaging that people smile but he use the same muscle as crying, so my smile is like crying). My cheek muscle get pain sometime too. so sad, anyone has the same thing.

thank you

Lea

Banned
Yes I too lost my smile. But my disorder isn´t due to facial muscles.. it´s due to something else and I don´t know exactly what. As if something sucked the life out of me over the years, or as if I´ve been through some wash maschine or tumbledryer process.

Hello and welcome to the site :)

I also have a problem with being able to make myself smile when I am in a social situation. I can't even make a pretend smile. Sorry I can't offer any advice as I have not figured out how to smile on cue either.

A367

Not sure if it's only psychological issue or there is some physical issue related too. Since I do feel facial muscle pain in the morning.

BlueDays: You can try to smile with your mouth closed, this helped me alot

SilverSky

I smile with my mouth closed, it's hard because they are always forced when in a social situation...If I try to smile too long my face muscles twitch but idk if it's the same thing. I also feel like my smile is crooked, so I'm embarrassed to smile big. I feel like when I smile I look weird or people will think I look strange. Probably in my head o_0

A367

When I had this smile phobia in the first place, my face muscle twitch and I couldn't control it, that's all I had. Four years later, it got worse, I smile with crying face since I misuse the muscle to smile and I can't control it. I am glad that I went through the hard time without quitting my job or avoiding all the social life. I am still struggling , but I have faith and hope. Now, I really see some improvement by:

1: mouth closed when extremly anxious
2:try to smile as small as I can (better than straight face)
3:seeing a pshcylogist
4:not giving up, not avoid too much social life

Iluv

I smile with my mouth closed too, if I smile with teeth it just looks awkward. The only thing I can think of is find something that makes you laugh, usually you smile hard when you laugh and that might help to show you that you can smile it just will take time.

JustWannaLove

Yes I too lost my smile. But my disorder isn´t due to facial muscles.. it´s due to something else and I don´t know exactly what. As if something sucked the life out of me over the years, or as if I´ve been through some wash maschine or tumbledryer process.

i feel the same.
i used to smile to hide my feelings, and over time that smile just looked like a really sad forced smile, and it was just depressing to see (i saw it in family pictures).
i have also occasionally had where when i force my smile my lip/cheek shakes a little.
i find it hard to smile. sometimes i can do it easy, and sometimes i just can't.
there are moments where i am genuinely happy, and other moments, i just feel depressed inside.