Can't sleep at night

Neebo

Does anyone here suffer from insomnia or find they can't get to sleep at night? When I go to bed I just can't seem to switch off :x I lie awake staring at the ceiling thinking about things,you know life in general and especially my Socialphobia. I think to myself will I ever get better or have a normal life or have a girlfriend and get married and have children? Sometimes I even get hot flushes and my heart rate goes up thinking about it and I start to feel a bit suffocated,if you know what I mean? And I feel really depressed and down :( The other night was really bad I just couldnt get to sleep and I was up and down the stairs virtually all night watching TV. Its got so bad that I've started taking my mom's sleeping tablets which work very well and within half an hour of taking them I'm out like a light. I don't want to take them because not only are they my mom's but I'm worried I might become addicted to them but I just can't get to sleep and I don't know what to do :x Has anyone got any advice on what I can do?

Scottish_Player

Ive always had problems sleeping at night i too take my dads meds its codeine which is a pain killer and taken in a high enough dossage helps get me to sleep. I dont have any advice but i just wanted to let you know i feel everything that you have described.

Jack7

You have to try and put your thoughts out of your mind at nighttime I think :? I often have to try to do the same. Try saying to yourself "I have to sleep, the problems I have can wait to be thought about", and clear your mind as best you can. That, or think about something you enjoy, even if it's something small, like a book or film, or a computer game or something. It's probably not so much thinking that's keeping you from sleeping, but what you're thinking about. If you're getting agitated because of what you're thinking about, that's probably keeping you up. I can drop off to sleep even if I'm thinking about something, like a story I'm writing or whatever. It's only when I'm distressed over something that's worrying me that I can't get 40 winks. I used to be a terrible sleeper when I was at school, but since I've tried putting upsetting thoughts out of my head and the pressure of school in the morning has gone, it's become easier to sleep, if not great.

Scottish_Player

Things that help to to sleep are the alphabet games, go throught the alphabet and name things with every leter like A for albert B for Brian ans so on using girls names boys names countrys football teams i think you get what i mean..

black_mamba

Some people/websites recommend reading a book just before you sleep. It works for some, but has the opposite effect for others (like me!) .. but its yet another suggestion you could try out.

Or maybe just tune into Radio 4. :wink:

thugaveli

I know the feeling, my body is drained but my mind is in overdrive almost every evening

I find it easier to sleep during the day

If i can't sleep at night i don't even bother trying to because it just frustrates me even more, i literally have to go to sleep when my eyes shut on their own

MadCat

Here's some advice, even though it doesn't work on me..haha nothing works on me anymore for sleeping.

Try to totally bore your mind. Think of repetitive stuff that's simple. Don't try anything that can make the mind sort out problems.

For example, think of a black board and visualize it's empty. As soon as stuff comes onto the board (thoughts popping in your head) erase the board with your mind and make it blank again. Visualize the blank board and repeat this.

You rmind will get so bored of doing the same thing every often that it'll decide to go into sleep mode.

Sue

i have always had unbelievable trouble sleeping but for some reason anytime i change the covers and sheet i am asleep in seconds. thats the only way i could sleep. otherwise im awake all night and too tired in the morning. :evil:

Danfalc

Banned
Neebo

You could allways go to the doctors and explain you have difficulty sleeping and say that its getting beyond a joke, then you will probaly get prescribed some sleeping tabs of your own.Im pretty sure sleeping tablets arnt addictive, (i could be wrong,but im easily addicted to things and i aint ever had any probs on them).But you do get resistant to them pretty quickly.

I have a hard time getting to sleep aswell, and the only thing i have found to help is getting up real early in the morning.Hope you get somthing sorted man, cos i know how frustrating it can be :?