Can you survive on your own?

Zarrix

We prefer to be self sufficient, but I would find living by myself in certain situations rather daunting. Many things that could happen which could leave you high and dry.

weak

Walk said:
But how do you own a house at your age?

It's hard to answer your question without coming off as bragging. But as I mentioned in my original post, I had a business project that really took off. Basically I own a free file-hosting website similar to rapidshare.com and it generates revenue from affiliate marketing. I also day trade to subsidize my income. I went from being on the verge of homeless to having a six figure income.

Walk said:
As far as I understand, you don't own anything until you have fully paid off all the payments there is to be paid.

haha if that's the case, then 99.9999% of homeowners don't actually own their home.. but yeah I see what you're saying.

Walk said:
How much are you paying? I'm assuming 3k/month. How confident are you that you will make all payments?

A little over 6k/month including property tax. I have enough in the bank to cover many years of payments, so I'm pretty confident I wont ever default on the loan but who knows. There is little security in my line of work.

BashfulDoll

ljwwriter said:
Honestly, I don't think so. The only reason I'm alive right now is probably my family. Without them I would be totally alone in the world at this point. My friends have all finally slipped away, as I knew they would eventually. I tried to hold on, but they've moved on and I've become so at odds with the world that I've begun to embrace my reputation as a hermit, in spite of myself.

It's odd. I have very little sense of independence, but I'm probably more of an independent soul than most of the human population. I think many of us social phobics are. Thanks to our anxiety we can't get out of our own way and make a life exclusively for ourselves, yet we are by ourselves all the time. I'm not financial independent or anything like that, but emotionally I'm probably too independent.

omg..you took the words right outta my mouth..er from my head LOL! :\

Walk

weak said:
Walk said:
But how do you own a house at your age?

It's hard to answer your question without coming off as bragging. But as I mentioned in my original post, I had a business project that really took off. Basically I own a free file-hosting website similar to rapidshare.com and it generates revenue from affiliate marketing. I also day trade to subsidize my income. I went from being on the verge of homeless to having a six figure income.

Walk said:
As far as I understand, you don't own anything until you have fully paid off all the payments there is to be paid.

haha if that's the case, then 99.9999% of homeowners don't actually own their home.. but yeah I see what you're saying.

Walk said:
How much are you paying? I'm assuming 3k/month. How confident are you that you will make all payments?

A little over 6k/month including property tax. I have enough in the bank to cover many years of payments, so I'm pretty confident I wont ever default on the loan but who knows. There is little security in my line of work.
Interesting, man. I might ask you for some advice later on.

And yeah, in accounting, your equity is only that which you have no liability for. The basis of accounting is summarized in its famous equation: assets-liabilities=owner's equity.

Cool though. Much respect.

zootdroop

ljwwriter said:
Honestly, I don't think so. The only reason I'm alive right now is probably my family. Without them I would be totally alone in the world at this point. My friends have all finally slipped away, as I knew they would eventually. I tried to hold on, but they've moved on and I've become so at odds with the world that I've begun to embrace my reputation as a hermit, in spite of myself.

It's odd. I have very little sense of independence, but I'm probably more of an independent soul than most of the human population. I think many of us social phobics are. Thanks to our anxiety we can't get out of our own way and make a life exclusively for ourselves, yet we are by ourselves all the time. I'm not financial independent or anything like that, but emotionally I'm probably too independent.

That's me. There's no way I could survive on my own, I wouldn't want to either. I sit here in my parents house with people all around and still feel lonely, I can't imagine what it would be like to really be alone. I couldn't do it, I'm pretty much useless alone.

whiteraven

I live on my own, have for about a year now. I'm pretty much useless but I've managed to not die so I guess that's something.
I don't really have any support from my family and no real friends to speak of. I don't think I've been out of my house in about two weeks now.
So, yes, I am hermit.

drumev

I have to try. I have no choice. Right now I think this the only way I could get my life back in track. At this moment I'm much like a parasite, doing nothing useful. That's one of the things that makes me feel so bad and trapped. And at least I have some pride and won't allow myself to depend on people who have humiliated and belittled me for my entire life (my parents). So I'm off right after I graduate highschool...

JonnyD_

i think most of us , if pushed really far would be able to survive, exempt if you have a severe case of avoidant personality or agoraphonia

j_brown1

Banned
you can survive on your own in this modern world, but your mind will drive you nuts, if you have noone to socialize with.

you have to take in energy from people, like you have to eat food, drink water, so you need to socialize, take in energy from people

but at the moment people with strong social phobia block out all energy from people like theres a protecting shield around them,

Jim695

I have been living alone on my own for many years and it has almost killed me. The isolation has taken a hellish toll on me. Like most folks with SA I long for company but people terrify me.

I realize that for me living alone is far better than living with other people which I did after college for 3 years and I nearly had a nervous breakdown so living alone is far better.

I have had SA since I was a small child and it has tormented me all my life. :(

PhantomPod

I actually do think that I would be able to handle it... for the most part.

I live with my parents right now, although I do own a condo. I was so close to moving into the condo and just had dreams of how great it would be to have my own place and do my own thing. My parents seem to fight every other day, and I just can't stand it sometimes. But I ultimately just decided to rent out my condo and live with my parents for a few more years until I can really save up some good money.

I know that I wouldn't want to live with roommates. I did throughout college, but I didn't like it much and wouldn't want to do it now.

I mean, one of my fantasies is definitely that I just wish everyone in my life would truly disappear so I could just be alone, yet at the same time I feel like I"m longing for companionship. The two thoughts are such opposites that I just don't know what I really want.

But yeah, in a few more years once I have some more money, I suspect that I will move into my condo, or probably even buy an even better place to move into. By myself.

Oh, and Walk -- You could probably buy a house or condo now for fairly cheap money. There are so many foreclosures that you could get an amazing deal. (although I see that you live in California. Not sure how their housing market is exactly, as house prices still seem to be up there $$) I charge my tenants $1000/mo and that covers my mortgage and condo payment, plus some. I mean, then they also have expenses like electricty, cable, internet, groceries, etc, but still, if you look around, you could find a good deal on a property where your mortgage payment would be less than or equal to your rent elsewhere.

limetree

I suck at looking after my physical needs, I neglect them and make myself sick but I'm still a teenager so I guess there's a lot of growing out of reliance on parents to do. Relationship-wise I'd become very depressed alone and would try to seek out interaction online.