can i build self confidence buy learning to fight - lyfe story

angryguy

can i build self confidence buy learning to fight - lyfe story
could it?

when i was a kid i was always afraid of embarrassing myself by losing a fight. i think my biggest regret ever was not standing up for myself against a bully and keeping my dignity i didnt realise myself being bullied until my long term PTSD from it became obvious. i was miserable felt like a 40 yr old with extreme anxiety at the time

the guy who always harassed and put me down for for 5 years age 13-17 caused it he just a plain ***** douoche, most other ppl made fun of me specially bcus i was abnormally strong very skinny and short and didnt talk but the jokes were just for fun, compared to that one guy who made sure every moment in high school was misery.

not that i feel anything from it now the long term harrasment degrading has left me with chronic depression and chronic low self esteem to this day

even now (4yrs later) i started lifting and im huge now anxiety and stress has gone down a lot but still quite a lot but i feel like 20 yrs now. i can talk **** all i want on internet. but i still dont think i would stand up for my self if someone was harassing me in real life or attacked me in public crowd i would be doubtful embarassed of fighting back. eventhough im strong as fk now I can bench 300 lbs dead lift 440lbs

and i think this could possibly be a reason why i still lack confidence because i possibly need to be confident i can fight for myself if someone attacked me verbally or physically infront of a crowd

So the question is would gaining fighting knowledge and being confident in my self defence possibly help me build overall self confidence? like being sociable enough to make friends and if i get confidence im sociable enuf, maybe try for a gf too?

its impossible to change when the brain is messed up at such an early age, u can never change inside what u really were as a kid

Last edited:
Learning to fight can be useful (it's an accomplishment so of course your self-esteem might boost) but even in fighting it's about confronting people. With social phobia, we push people away without wanting to. How can you expect (with all those physical attributes to beat the crap out of someone) to actually fight when you are afraid of people in general? Even if you did, how will an accurate kick to the jaw help you be able to confront people in general? I'm not saying don't do it...but if you have to, at least go to a dojo and meet people there. Learn to fight with other people. Understand them.

angryguy

learn to fight with other people as in random people.

and also do you mean with as in a team alongside someone?

and i was thinking either judo or wrestling, judo is okay it has good moves and wrestling would make use of my physical strength. i might do both?

Yeah, a class for judo. A place with people learning judo. Or wrestling. Just don't learn it on your own. People. Get people. Not friends because they might just not be into it.

Rogue

learning to fight and strength training may build self confidence but i feel that the underlying reason is that both of these things coupled with self awareness, enable you to understand your capabilities. And whenever you learn more about yourself, you become more confident.

i also think that fight training acts against the victim mentality mindsets.

Quietguy11

I was harassed by a few guys in middle school, which really caused me a lot of stress, until I started taking martial arts lessons and eventually got back at the guy who was causing me the most problems. The anger that was built up over the years from getting beat up by this guy went away completely just moments after I won the fight against him in the Dojo I was training in, but that was back when I was like 17, I'm 27 now. I lead a must more peaceable life now, and actually hate fighting. Like for all I know, the blows to the head that I took over the years caused me to become autistic. I've always considered that. I was a highly functioning adolescent, but with major self-esteem issues. Needless to say I don't participate in the martial arts anymore, mainly because I still felt like a loner who couldn't connect with anyone while I was there. The inability to make friends really bummed me out. I would say that if you want to develop confidence, learning self-defense in any martial art is a good way of doing it. You will learn how to fight, but will be so confident in your abilities that you won't have to prove to the world that you are strong. Rather you will be able to keep your composure and only rely on your abilities when you absolutely need to defend yourself.

jaim38

I agree with people above. But be careful of the thirst for vengeance. If you want to learn how to fight so that you could one day beat up your enemies, step back for a moment and rethink your purpose. I hear many practitioners say they use martial arts for self-defense and protection of other people, not for offense.

angryguy

yeah pretty much i want so i know for sure if i was assualted (not that many people would attack me at this age) but the fact that this was my weakness when i was a kid. i hope that just having self defence confidence; my mind will build confidence, because this relate to the fact i couldnt defend myself in childhood as that was the cause of my confidence destruction prety much.

i would never use martial arts to attack people unless someone violates me verbally, so then ill be confident to talk to others and not be afraid of them verbally harrasing me in the conversation?

angryguy

I was harassed by a few guys in middle school, which really caused me a lot of stress, until I started taking martial arts lessons and eventually got back at the guy who was causing me the most problems. The anger that was built up over the years from getting beat up by this guy went away completely just moments after I won the fight against him in the Dojo I was training in, but that was back when I was like 17, I'm 27 now. I lead a must more peaceable life now, and actually hate fighting. Like for all I know, the blows to the head that I took over the years caused me to become autistic. I've always considered that. I was a highly functioning adolescent, but with major self-esteem issues. Needless to say I don't participate in the martial arts anymore, mainly because I still felt like a loner who couldn't connect with anyone while I was there. The inability to make friends really bummed me out. I would say that if you want to develop confidence, learning self-defense in any martial art is a good way of doing it. You will learn how to fight, but will be so confident in your abilities that you won't have to prove to the world that you are strong. Rather you will be able to keep your composure and only rely on your abilities when you absolutely need to defend yourself.

oh man just imagining if i got back at that guy before i reached this age of no return.. i sure would have been feeling more like a man right now and i wouldnt have these problems so bad.

noaalessi

Learning and mastering the arts of Kung Fu and Wushu are great because they teach you to channel your energy and feelings, and are an excellent way to learn discipline and confidence (in a really big way).
Beware of one thing though, when involved in these arts, the purpose won't be to fight against anyone, but rather to learn a profound new way of life which affects almost avery area of your life.

I highly recommend them! :) Good luck!