Buspirone Anyone?

MotherWolff

Banned
I was wondering if anyone on here has ever taken an anxiety medication called Buspirone and what experience(s) did you guys have with it.

I am currently taking it. I just started it about a week ago.

I only take half of 5mg tablets of it.

lyricalliaisons

I took it and felt nothing from it. It was like taking tic-tacs for me lol. It gave me no side effects at all that I can remember. It just didn't help at all. But everyone is different so it could help you greatly.

Earthcircle

I took it, and it kicked in in about three days. When it kicked in, I felt like I was losing my mind. I think it was akathisia. Anyway, that stuff really frightens me. I think it is dangerous. But if you've been on it for over a week, and tolerating it, then you are probably having a very different reaction than what I experienced.

It's bad enough to be mentally ill, then they put us on crap that makes us act crazy. Thanks. I sometimes really despise psychiatrists.

MotherWolff

Banned
Whoa. I am sorry about the way buspirone reacted to your bodies. Seems like it reacts very differently for everyone. The only thing about buspirone I do not like so far is that it has a rare reaction to Lexapro, which I also take. Fortunately, it has not occurred. I think it takes about 2 or 3 weeks for buspirone to work. I hope it does.

ryan2022

I would definitely say it's worth a try. Some I know have had a lot of success with it, others not much of anything.

It's usually mild, low on side effects, and quite inexpensive.

I hope it works for you!

Stargirl

I just got a prescription for it and my doctor told me it doesn't have a very high success rate, but people don't tend to complain about any side effects from it to her. So, just see if it works for you I guess :)

I will probably test mine on Sunday when the grocery store floods like crazy and I have to cash people out for six hours XD I'll report back on this post! :p

Stargirl

UPDATE:

Okay, so I was prescribed buspar on an as needed basis, and apparently this is not very common. I can't really find anything online that says it's effective like this :/ However, my pharmacy booklet says... "Use this medication regularly in order to get the most benefit from it... It may take up to a month or more to get the full effect of this medication."

Now, this is a little disappointing because I was looking for something I could take 3-5x a month max for meeting new people and hanging out with them for the first few times.

Anyway, I've taken a 7.5 dose before work a few times now (I'm a cashier at a huge grocery store). I think it might have done something. I noticed I was talking a little bit more to a couple cashiers. Also, I seemed to have less pre-work anxiety before punching in. I also didn't sit in the back of the break room like I usually do on my break. I want to say it helped at least a little bit.

The best way I can put this is that my usual 7/10 anxiety was like a 5.5-6.5/10. Could be placebo effect. Who knows. I'm also almost done coming off of 150mg of effexor, so that could be a factor.

Last edited:

pacman490

Buspirone brought me back up to par when I was feeling down but that's it. I didn't feel more relaxed, just sleepy all the time.

Holiday

Buspirone is effective for mild-moderate anxiety with not panic attacks.
Most people find it to be effective, but everyone's different, and your experience with Buspirone may not be the same as someone else's experience.
Buspirone has no potential for abuse or addiction, and there are no withdrawal symptoms. You may have to take Buspirone for several weeks in order to feel it's effects.
Buspirone is a good alternative to other anti-anxiety medications such as benzodiazepenes. Examples of benzodiazepens are Valium, Xanax and Klonopin. These medications are effective for the relief of anxiety, but have a large potential for abuse and addiction, as a result, they aren't prescribed for periods exceeding 3 months.
See how you feel on Buspirone, it's a treatment, not a cure. A therapist and congnitive behavior therapy may be a more effective long-term solution to your anxiety problem.

It's really for "mild to moderate"? I don't know what I'm doing on it as my social phobia or whatever you'd like to call it is pretty severe (I am mainly being treated for depression as no one knows about SA around here). I am on this medicine and I'm doing pretty good currently. No side effects, though I never really have any. I temporarily quit taking it about a week ago, though and I feel no change.

cappatown420

I'm on the highest dose of Buspar. I started getting to the point where I wouldn't take them as directed (twice a day) because it really didn't seem to do anything. I was put on Buspar because I was abusing the Xanax they were giving me.