Breathing

p i a n o♬

I'm not sure if any of you guys have the same thing I do but I can barely breath when I'm talking to someone.

Aah, I know it's pretty silly and I feel kinda stupid saying this. Though I probably shouldn't. When someone approaches me to talk I get really nervous. I can't breath well.. It's more like short breaths and small gasps that I can't quite control.

I look like some deranged idiot who doesn't know how to breath... It's embarrassing as you can guess..

Even when someone just looks at me from a distance and says "Hi!" I say "Hi.." back though it takes a lot of effort. =\ After that I start worrying if maybe I said it wrong, or I should have said Hello instead or maybe they just didn't hear me? while I'm thinking about this, that's when my breathing gets all messed up. I'm lucky if I don't lose my breath in the middle of saying Hi.

I hate being shy. =\

Last edited:

mercyshy

The first time we met with my close friend back in 1998, I thought he has problems in his breathing. LOL! Only to find out that he has SA. He still have this strange actions/emotions but not the same on the first time we met. He can now control himself and get used to it. Just be confident and stay calm!

Last edited:

staticreflex

p i a n o♬;333727 said:
Even when someone just looks at me from a distance and says "Hi!" I say "Hi.." back though it takes a lot of effort. =\ After that I start worrying if maybe I said it wrong, or I should have said Hello instead or maybe they just didn't hear me? while I'm thinking about this, that's when my breathing gets all messed up. I'm lucky if I don't lose my breath in the middle of saying Hi.

I hate being shy. =\

I haven't noticed breathing problems, but I definitely relate to worrying about the way I said hi to someone else, even if its a total stranger or checkout girl.

Tiercel

I'm a bit weird with breathing, too. If I'm talking to someone, I don't want to seem too breathy or breathe on them too much. Nor do I want to have to pause mid-sentence to take in more air. Nor do I want to seem like I'm taking too long to reply. So I tend to just take a breath and hold it. Of course, by holding my breath my heart starts beating faster and I eventually get a bit.... frantic? Which doesn't really help with the anxiety about having the social interaction in the first place.

The side effect of doing so is that I start thinking more about breathing than the actual conversation, thus making it more likely that I'll do something that seems a bit odd. Oh, joy.

:rolleyes:

p i a n o♬;333727 said:
I'm not sure if any of you guys have the same thing I do but I can barely breath when I'm talking to someone.

Aah, I know it's pretty silly and I feel kinda stupid saying this. Though I probably shouldn't. When someone approaches me to talk I get really nervous. I can't breath well.. It's more like short breaths and small gasps that I can't quite control.

I look like some deranged idiot who doesn't know how to breath... It's embarrassing as you can guess..

I hate being shy. =\

Are you Chinese? so am I. I have breathing problem when I speak in public, and sometimes when I talk with strangers. What is strange is that sometimes I perform pretty well and sometimes really bad, I don't know why, it seems like it's beyond my control.

TimArends

p i a n o♬, It sounds like some social anxiety instead of just shyness you are describing. I have heard that a good way to relax is to make sure you are breathing from the stomach instead of the chest. What that means is that you are using the diaphragm to breathe and allowing the stomach to move in and out. Experts recommend that you perform deep abdominal breathing throughout the day, for example when you awaken, before you go to sleep and in any stressful situation.