Breathing

lunarla

Hi, you wonderful people! I've been away from the site for awhile, but it's nice to check back in. I guess you could say I'm going through some major changes in my life. I've decided to sortttt of take this semester off of highschool and do independent courses. Just to focus on myself more. I'm feeling really hopeful about this! Anyway, on to the actual topic of this thread.

Ever since I was about 12 I've had this mild experience of hyperventilating from focusing on my breathing. It usually happens just before bed. I'll start to consciously notice my breathing and focus on it until I stop breathing and then start breathing very irregularly. It's happened every so often since then, but nothing that's really alarmed me. That was, until, the other night. It happened and it kept me up for about an hour. Does this happen to anyone else?

Also, it's especially frustrating because when my counselor has advised me to do different breathing methods for my anxiety - well, it just doesn't work for me.

Lorraine Manca

Hi, you wonderful people! I've been away from the site for awhile, but it's nice to check back in. I guess you could say I'm going through some major changes in my life. I've decided to sortttt of take this semester off of highschool and do independent courses. Just to focus on myself more. I'm feeling really hopeful about this! Anyway, on to the actual topic of this thread.

Ever since I was about 12 I've had this mild experience of hyperventilating from focusing on my breathing. It usually happens just before bed. I'll start to consciously notice my breathing and focus on it until I stop breathing and then start breathing very irregularly. It's happened every so often since then, but nothing that's really alarmed me. That was, until, the other night. It happened and it kept me up for about an hour. Does this happen to anyone else?

Also, it's especially frustrating because when my counselor has advised me to do different breathing methods for my anxiety - well, it just doesn't work for me.

lol i know the feeling! i was told to do breathing exercises too, they made me feel very lightheaded and worse off. the irony!

Kustamogen

Banned
my issues are almost all breathing issues......I know what you mean with the focusing part.

The more I focus and try and control my breathing the faster I hyperventilate and freak out!!!! When I start feeling like that I try and distract or move around....seems to help regulate it. So I will usually clean and such if I feel it coming on....if I do that I can usually stop it before it sends me into a panic attack

lunarla

my issues are almost all breathing issues......I know what you mean with the focusing part.

The more I focus and try and control my breathing the faster I hyperventilate and freak out!!!! When I start feeling like that I try and distract or move around....seems to help regulate it. So I will usually clean and such if I feel it coming on....if I do that I can usually stop it before it sends me into a panic attack

Exaccccctly like that! If I'm doing something I can usually prevent from getting into the weird breathing pattern. But when I'm trying to sleep it's so frustrating because it gets to the point where I haaaave to sleep, yet it still keeps me up! I'm starting to get anxious about even attempting to go to sleep lately. Because I think it's going to happen, and if I think about it, it's very likely it will happen.