Brain Power

There's no medicine, special doctor, treatment, book, ect. that truely rids you of your anxiety problems. Only you can help yourself. Thoughts are actions. When you think about your anxiety in anyway you get more anxious. Try to force the memory of you anxiety out of you mind. When a thought that makes you anxious pops in you mind, think positive or stop it before you get anxious. Why dose the child get really anxious 1 person before he has to present to the class? It's because he is thinking about it more. If the thoughts never crossed you mind, then the action would never be there. The world is only how you make it up to be in your mind. If someone yells at you and you take it poorly and it brings you down, that's how you made it to be. If you give a simple "oops" to the problem then it passes like nothing happend. Learn to control your thoughts, find a story that you can think about to stop thinking about your anxiety and slowly get used to how easy it is to stop anxiety in it's tracks. I was once scared to walk so imagine how stong the mind is when you break things down.

AboveAndBeyond said:
There's no medicine, special doctor, treatment, book, ect. that truely rids you of your anxiety problems. Only you can help yourself. Thoughts are actions. When you think about your anxiety in anyway you get more anxious. Try to force the memory of you anxiety out of you mind. When a thought that makes you anxious pops in you mind, think positive or stop it before you get anxious. Why dose the child get really anxious 1 person before he has to present to the class? It's because he is thinking about it more. If the thoughts never crossed you mind, then the action would never be there. The world is only how you make it up to be in your mind. If someone yells at you and you take it poorly and it brings you down, that's how you made it to be. If you give a simple "oops" to the problem then it passes like nothing happend. Learn to control your thoughts, find a story that you can think about to stop thinking about your anxiety and slowly get used to how easy it is to stop anxiety in it's tracks. I was once scared to walk so imagine how stong the mind is when you break things down.

Control is the problem not the solution.

Pluvia

You say 'try not to think about your anxiety'.

I understand what you're trying to get at, but surely if you try to not think about something then you'll end up thinking about it anyway.

A good example a therapist gave me to highlight this was "Think about a not red elephant."
What's the first thing that pops into your head? A red elephant.

I don't completely agree that you can only help yourself. Yes, you must have the willpower, and you must go out there and make the first move. But it's people like therapists and things like self-help books that aid you, and help to change your thinking pattern.

Kinetik

I agree with the author, and I think the problem comes down to a lot of us being hypersensitive and defensive. These things make everything a hundred times worse. If, as you say, you take something badly, that's a character trait. It's hard to change that kind of thing because it's innate to a lot of us. Those aspects of someone's personality kind of go hand in hand with social anxiety if you ask me. I also definitely agree that there's no real cure for this except from the inside out. Not only do I not wish to begin medication because I don't want side-effects or withdrawals, but I know it's only really a quick-fix at best. Nor do I put any stock in the abilities of counselors and therapists. I can't imagine anything worse than being talked down to by some overpaid dipshit who doesn't understand what I'm going through. No doubt anxiety can only be overcome by us personally, but the age-old is how?