Blushing due to fear of others' interpretation of blushing

ali123

This is a lot like me too........it only ever happens at work though. Most of the directors etc at work are men, and I blush a lot with people "in authority" but I then worry everyone is thinking I am blushing because i am attracted to him, and then I blush more. It's got so bad that as soon as he walks into the room I blush.....I'm sure everyone must think I have a thing for him but i really honestly don't!
it sucks.......I'm thinking it's mostly mental too so I'm working on my thoughts and feelings and hoping they will have an effect.

Stuckwithme

I agree with what someone in the thread said. Most of us blushers don't really suffer from social phobia. I am very outgoing and never had problems with making friends. Actually people would be shocked to know that I fear blushing since I am so outgoing. I am quite a popular guy with a good job too. So if I suffer from this and can mask it so well, image how many who suffer in social situations who you never thought was.

So, it is not a social anxiety problem, it's just a blushing problem. A phobia causing an anxiety. Might as well have been spiders or something else.

If the blushing went away I would be freed of my shackles, but most likely I would start to worry about some other stupid issue.

One person in this thread wrote that she was a freak and that people wanted to get away from her because she was blushing. Dont blame the blushing. People actually dont give a **** about blushing. Honestly. Why would they? It's all in your mind. They probably want to get away because you act weird and cannot interact or maybe you think so.

You could blush like crazy but if you didnt give a rats ass no one else would either

I agree with what someone in the thread said. Most of us blushers don't really suffer from social phobia...
Is that really true? I am a blusher not as much as I used to though.
From what I have read they could be tied to SA.
One started the other or the the other way around.

Stuckwithme

For me it is true. I love people, I am totally social. Its ONLY the blushing. Take that away and I would have no problems.

I blush a little everytime im outside the house and sometimes when im in front of my pc too...
It's worse when talking to girls...

Timz

Oh god when I worked stuck in a building with people I would often blush if anyone looked at me. VERY self conscious. I used to work in factories--real steam shops, and it was hot anyway. Well I would often get these blush panic attacks where i would sweat buckets

The hells we put up with!

ryan3

It does happen to me quite a lot, the best thing for me is just not thinking about it when it happens...

AimeeSP

This is the exact same way i am too! I hate it so much and it seems to have gotten worse lately. :( Like for example my sister has her friend coming over alot and i blush at nearly everyone, and once i've blushed infront of someone i fear blushing infront of them again which actually DOES make me blush infront of them again... and again. So now i'm worrying even more that her friend thinks im a freak who fancies her which is not true at all and it's so embarrassing. ::(:

Stuckwithme

I had a great day today, where I didnt even blush once and I felt very strong and secure. I was the one making people blush and they couldnt make me blush. It goes to show that this is NOT about social phobia, but the blushing itself!

KiaraBlue

I had a great day today, where I didnt even blush once and I felt very strong and secure. I was the one making people blush and they couldnt make me blush. It goes to show that this is NOT about social phobia, but the blushing itself!

I have good days too. But I wanna know why we sometimes blush and sometimes not?? I hate that!

nunvangus

OMG... I have the same kind of issue. Mainly with my friends boyfriends or if i am talking to someone who’s boyfriend is there. Its not really blushing although i do a little its getting a little shaky and just thinking that she thinks i like her boyfriend, she thinks he likes me or thinking that he thinks i like him, I HATE IT! I also get like this when someone is talking about something and all of a sudden i start to think oh my god i hope they don’t mean that i have done it etc etc Or if someone accuses me of something which i so haven’t done i come across all nervous like i have ::(: Most days i am fine but if i am really tired or hungover (which is when my SA is at its worst) xx

panicgirl

Yes, I feel your pain. I've overcome this problem now, after suffering from it for at least 8 years. I'm now 26. It was tough having a job, as I would blush in front of customers and it was hard to keep my composure and I felt as though everyone noticed my blushing and was always staring at me waiting for me to blush. There are some things you can to to calm down the blushing episodes. This may not completely get rid of the blushing but it will definitely help!!! Please try these things:
-Don't drink caffeine
-Try to avoid eating sugar.
-eat lots of fruits and veggies
-drink tons of water
-exercise regulary
-take these supplements - GABA (this helps a LOT), nerve tonic, 5HTP

Feathers

-Don't drink caffeine
-Try to avoid eating sugar.
-eat lots of fruits and veggies
-drink tons of water
-exercise regulary
-take these supplements - GABA (this helps a LOT), nerve tonic, 5HTP

WOW, thanks for the advice. I'm staying away from supplements, the rest seems like good common sense though. My problem is not blushing-related, though somewhat similar.

Great thread everyone!
I thought I was the only one (or at least very rare) who thought these odd thoughts, 'Ohh what if he thinks I like him?' (and I didn't!) And it was just with guys I wasn't attracted to and felt awkward around. Then it somehow mostly stopped later on.
I never blushed though, just thought it. And it made it a bit awkward, luckily it happened only rarely and just with a few guys.

Tired or hungover, good and bad days - I wonder if it has to do with nutrition and mineral levels too?

I have had a crying problem for a while, and it got even worse if I thought 'Oh what are they thinking about me and such?' or 'This is unprofessional' or 'I really shouldn't behave like that' and such! (And then it just got worse, lol!)
Funny thing is, sometimes (the last few times) the other people didn't even really mind it, and felt somewhat guilty for triggering it off and such.. and apologized even.. I did tell what thoughts triggered it so it didn't seem so completely off-topic or 'out of the blue'... And I did shift their position in the discussion a little.. So, hm? Maybe talking about it can even improve things.. I still think it's unprofessional, sigh.. And what to do when around unsympathetic/really unfriendly people? (Oddly enough sometimes crying has helped there too-?? They were mostly nicer then, or left me in peace.) Just a few cases were really annoying.. Probably best to just not work in such a context again, if it can be helped? Or really change attitudes regarding this, but how?