Better/easier to use iontophoresis devices

marcoter

Hello,

I was thinking of a way to improve iontophoresis treatment to be easier to use and allow targeting more areas. I got the idea to make iontophoresis garments that allow targeting any area of the body and at the same time stay mobile, instead of sitting for the whole treatment. For example, to treat the palms of your hands, you would use gloves that have a conductive material covering the palm side only where an electrode can be attached. Similarly, you can have socks, shirts, shorts, etc.

After some research, it turns out that I wasn't the first to come up with this idea. In fact, Johnson & Johnson Consumer Companies, Inc. has already filed for (in 2008) and was granted a patent for this idea (publication number US8150525 B2). Unfortunately, there haven't been any products based on this patent. So I wanted to let you all know about this and get your input about it. I'm already thinking of sewing such garments myself, but I would prefer to have them professionally done by a huge company such as Johnson & Johnson which would probably produce better designs using better materials. Is there a way to contact the company about this? Maybe we can do it collectively.

Thank you.

marcoter

Hi,

Can you please give an example of such devices? I am aware that there are some of these for drug delivery, but not for hyperhidrosis treatment. It is true that you can use gloves and socks inside tubs, but the idea here is to not use any water tub, just wet part of the glove that has an electrode which is connected to a power delivery device on your wrist, where there's a second electrode that closes the circuit. Please look at the patent for more details.

Last edited:

Sprawling

If I have time I'll see if I can find links. Like I said, these exist without having to use a bath. quite simple to make your own.

marcoter

I have found gloves/socks that can be used with a TENS machine for pain relief. These can be modified a bit to cover only the palms and soles for hyperhidrosis. I suppose you meant these. However, I'm afraid the material used (silver mesh fabric) would cause burns at the higher voltages/frequencies needed by hyperhidrosis treatment.

I think it would be much better if it's done professionally by the company such as it's detailed in the patent. They are able to cover all body areas as well, such as the back and buttocks. I would like to hear from you all if you're interested in filing an online petition asking the company to bring such a device to market.

Last edited:

svettsin

Hope to bring this back to life. It would be nice to eliminate the water baths completely and use conductive gel with gloves.

Sprawling

Conductive gels... I like that idea. And with that unit you just ordered off of Amazon that might work. I like the creativity that some people have done here making or finding equipment rather spending a fortune for those over priced ionto machines.

Standard cheap cotton gloves with a conductive gel would eliminate the need for water. Just saturating the gloves in water then hooking leads to them should hold for about 15 minutes. Or, having to small things of water so the gloves can be occasionally dipped into. Socks for your feet. This will all cover more surface area of your skin, but you'll still need something to catch the dripping water. This brings us back to a conductive gel. The gel needs to be cheap enough and have the properies of staying moist.