beta bloc or benzo

doesit

Hi everyone as the topic states,i would like to get peoples responses who were using benzos,and beta blockers for anxiety,as im currently on xanax and thinking of switching to beta blockers,im using xanax for anxiety/blushing caused by social situations,but dont like the way you get used to xanax dosages so fast and easily,so question is would betablockers like propanol would work better to stop the symptoms of anxiety and blushing.

p.s i know it not allowed to ask for medical advices here and give suggestions,so i ask people just to state their own experiences with the meds.

sullyS25

I would recommend neither as someday you will have to learn to deal with it without medications.....Benzos are addictive and I don't know much about beta blockers though....sorry if this doesn't help but that is just how I feel.

Rawz

I have a prescription for Lorazepam (Ativan) and I use it occasionally but only when I have bad anxiety or a panic attack and really need it. I've never used more than one at a time (one is 0.5), and never upped the dosage or anything.

Beta blockers are brilliant for stopping the shaking hands, rapid heartbeat, difficulty breathing etc (what I use them for) because then you can concentrate on other things instead of being distracted by the worry that other people can see you trembling etc.
They don't prevent the psychological symptoms like the benzo's do, but they are not addictive. I have read about some real horror stories from people getting off the benzos.
My doctor recommended I should only use the beta blockers for when I am doing presentations, job interviews etc (use sparingly) as they are still not great for your system.

doesit

Thanks for the responses everyone,theres no guaranteed cure for this and poping pills dont solve anything as we see now :) but at least its more bearable to have some relief.

vancouver24

Banned
I have a prescription for Lorazepam (Ativan) and I use it occasionally but only when I have bad anxiety or a panic attack and really need it. I've never used more than one at a time (one is 0.5), and never upped the dosage or anything.

has ativan been really helpful ? what kind of anxiety do you have?