Best Treatment for SA.

Squishy

Best Treatment for SA?

I used to think I was just shy and I would grow out of it. But now the impact of SA is effecting me more. I could cope with it when I was at school, I would do my work, and I had some close friends. But then I started Uni last year and hated it so I dropped out, and now I've been doing nothing for nearly a year because I'm too scared to work, with no experience all I can do is shop work and office work however the thought of working in any of those places terrifies me. All the jobs I look at say good communication skills needed, it's just making me depressed. I'm starting an Open University degree in October which I hope will help me get a job I'll enjoy in the future, until then I need a part time job but I just can't get my confidence up to try and get a job more, I've given in a few CVs into shops, but If I hear back from them I'd get soo nervous, not that I've had much luck getting a job anyway I have had about 5 interviews which have got me no where.
Sorry for the long explanation,I just needed to get it off my chest, but anyway I want to try and do something about my SA instead of living in fear of the world all the time so I wondered what the best way to start is?

Last edited:

lunaticbinge

Do you have insurance? Medication may help. Work has always been a battle for me. The actual work of the job is nothing compared to the socializing that's almost always required. One thing I like to do is try to imagine the plethora of conversation topics I might have to come across beforehand and think of responses to what people might say. Just a little thing but it seems to help me a bit.

Remus

Staff member
In the UK CBT seems the way forward to help manage SA, I've heard of many docs now popping you on SSRI medication first. Seems like there is a tier system to see what helps best, no result and they put you on the next tier of treament. They do seem to avoid the 'heavy' med route these days.

Docs are very approachable about this issue of anxiety I have found and treat it very seriously but in a very laid back way too.

Last edited:

Squishy

She dosnt need it, she's a brit, it's free matey ;)

*edit

Ahh the OP is a girl, changed gender in post lol

Yep it's all free :D thanks for the replies both of you! Now I just need the courage to go and see my doctor.

Last edited:

Remus

Staff member
Yep it's all free :D thanks for the replies both of you! Now I just need the courage to go and see my doctor.

They are usually really nice with you, I worte it all down my first time just incase my head went!

xautumns_glare88x

Im in the same position, ive been going to a counselor for the past few weeks and it hasnt been helping too much, i got an approval for a few psychiatrists but im not sure if i shud go ahead with it or just find a group therapy session first