Best Self-help Program for SA

malumba

Can somebody tell which is the best self-help program for SA?
I am aware of three programs which are specifically designed for SA (Dr Thomas Richard, Jonathan Berrent, Sue Cleland).
None of them is cheap so would be good to know which is the best before spending a lot of money…

Scooter

different things work for different people. Generally a mix is the most beneficial for most people, meds & therapy. A lot of people suggest CBT, theres' also action & commitment therapy, or alternatives like tapping.
Personally, I go with meds & counselling, anxiety is a brain disturbance, if you had high blood pressure then you'd take the meds to fix it. If you have abnormal brain chemistry then it's the same thing. Having a good counsellor gives me the opportunity to talk & considering the isolation involved I find it really helpful to have one person to talk to that I know I can trust. But you do need to find the right person.

I don`t know the Berrent program but I have experience with both the Dr. Richards and Cleland one.
I purchased the Dr. richard one 2 years ago. I was in the middle of the program when I sent an email to Dr. Richard asking how should I deal with panic attacks. His answer was disappointing enough to quit from the program altogether. He told if I have panic attacks I don`t have SA, I have panic disorder and I should look after different treatment for that.
Well this statement contradicts with his own definitions about the two disorders which are still available on his website:
Differences Between Social Anxiety and Panic Disorder
I only have panic attacks in social situations and every other source confirmes that panicattack may be part of SA.
As he himself admited this program is unlikely to work for one who has very bad physical symptoms in social situations like panic attacks. However if your worst symptom is say blushing but otherwise you can communicate most probably it would be helpful to you.
I think the reason for this is that the program is about to build new, positive neural pathways and forget the old ones which maintain anxiety. However if you can not talk properly because you are so anxious in social situations it is very difficoult to be positive about upcoming events and just simply ignore your symptoms.

After I gave up on the above program I came across with Sue Cleland`s DVD program. Similarly to Dr. Richard Sue Cleland is also an ex SA sufferer and she has also completely recovered from SA.
In addition Sue Cleland also had panicattacks like myself so this made her program more promising to me.
Yet I didn`t buy the program for a year after I came across with it because it is so highly priced.
Couple of months ago I got to the rock bottom (panic attacks, depression, etc.) and in desparation I ordered the DVD set. I don`t regret my decision to the smallest because I think this is one of the best program for SA out there.

The big difference to other programs is that instead of positiv thinking approach it uses realistic thinking approach. If you have panic attacks there is no amount of saying to yourself that “everything is going to be all right!” will make a difference. Instead of trying to treat the symptoms itself the program goes down to the core of the problem which is our belief system. You can face 1000 times with the same situation, if you don`t challenge your belief system you are not going to be any better. Social anxiety is only a physical manifestation of a deeper problem. If you don`t address that you are just making yourself up to unecessary suffering by confronting your fears.
This program is excellent to discover these unhealthy beliefs and teaches you how to change them.

The only problem is that this is probably the most expensive program available ($460 AUD). Still I think if you can afford it it worth the high price. I have wasted much more money during the years on useless counselling and I would have been much better off just to buy this one instead.
Alternatively you can check it out on ebay or some other sites. Sometimes you can catch a cheaper second-hand one like I did with the Dr. Richard one.

Take care!

Nack

Banned
Do not categorize SA into one linear category; believe me or not. SA differs from one person to the next. Those "programs" are jokes to get money from desperate people, there's is no cure for SA believe it! If you want a cure; might as well bang your head on a head and damage your frontal lobe; the part of the brain that gives you emotions. Then you'll be emotion-less and SA free. Eventually you'll suffer insanity and your suppressed feelings will be your death.

You have a better chance of finding better and more logical ideas to "adapt" to SA on the net.

Do not categorize SA into one linear category; believe me or not. SA differs from one person to the next. Those "programs" are jokes to get money from desperate people, there's is no cure for SA believe it! If you want a cure; might as well bang your head on a head and damage your frontal lobe; the part of the brain that gives you emotions. Then you'll be emotion-less and SA free. Eventually you'll suffer insanity and your suppressed feelings will be your death.

You have a better chance of finding better and more logical ideas to "adapt" to SA on the net.

It's called the amgidale, the part that controls ur emotions.. its omn the back of ur head:p :)

Bul****!!!
Recovering from SA means to learn managing it and reduce the symptoms to an acceptable level. But than who is completly anxiety free?
You can spend the rest of your life in your room convincing yourself that you never will get better and than surely you never will. But than what`s the point to live like that?
Or you can go out and challenge your limitations, learn to cope with it and try to enjoy your life in spite of your limitations as much as you can.
Half a year ago I was on SSRI and still having panic attacks.
Today I am not taking any medicine and working full time. Haven`t had a panic attack for months. I still have extrem anxiety in many situations but I feel i slowly get better. I know that i never will be anxiety free but I belive I can learn to manage it and keep it on an acceptable level. I am already having sometimes pretty good days.
If you don`t work on it nothing will be changed. "The word 'succes' only coming from the dictionary without work."
Unfortunatelly we have to work extremly hard to do the same things which others do with ease for granted, but I rather get up to the challenge and sometimes make a fool of myself than hide in my room for the rest of my life.
I know that my SA developed as a result of my style of thinking (pesimistic, self-critical, etc) and my life-style. If I knew 10 years ago what I know today i never get to here. I already discovered a lot of habitual thinking patterns which keeps it going. i hope if I change them one by one than the anxiety will follow.
I experienced much deeper levels than most people here but I already made progress and I am sure I will more.
There are quite a few people who recovered so you can`t say it is impossible.
It`s only impossible if you think that way!

chances are Thomas, Jonathan and Sue aren't sitting at home right now saying prayers and lighting candles for the socially anxious. more likely they're having a threesome in a pile of cash.

If I don`t misundestand you SA people have a frontal lobe/amygdala which is out of controll because a genetical failure or something which is not possible to fix.
But than how do you explain that
1. many people don`t have SA for a long time, than it suddenly fails
(I myself didn`t have SA for 25 years)
2. If your frontal lobe is out of control than it should be out of control all the time and experience anxiety in any kind of situation 24 hours a day.
If it was so you wouldn`t be here since you wouldn`t have SA. Your problem was than called panic disorder or GAD.
In fact your amygdala is under strict control since it gives you a hard time only in certain situations. It never goes off when you are sitting alone in your room. Why? Because this is how it is programed.
Why is it programed like this? Because this is how you are programing it all the time, every day and every minute with you thinking even you are not aware of that.
Your amygdala is nothing else than just an alarm system which goes off exactly when you tell it to do so.
How do you tell it? With your fear. It only goes off in situations when you really wouldn`t like it to happen. When it is the most embarassing or humiliating therefore you fear from it the most. Because this is how you percieve it. So this is what has to be chenged. Your perception.

I am not saying it is easy to reprogram your thinking since I am still having the same problem too, but this is how it works and this is what people did who managed to recover.

The main difficulty of recovering from SA is not to get rid of your anxiety (that follows itself), but to change your old, extremly negative, pesimistic, fearfull and hopeless thinking patterns and beliefs system.

That is that keeps us stuck in anxiety and that is very obvious from the above comments too!

lyricalliaisons

I've heard of something called ACT that seems very good. I haven't tried it myself but I should because it might help a bit. It's especially good for those like me that find CBT to be a load of crap.

Beside the frontal-lobe doesn`t give you emotions. The frontal lobe as you call (orbito frontal cortex in reality) is the place of the brain where working memory is held. If you damage it you only lose your memories not your emotions.

Extrem negativity, lack of knowledge and lack of motivation is the perfect combination to be stuck forever where you are!

emmaandrew

If you are looking for self help, why not try panic away or linden method?? Thought its quite cheap, you can tryout before going for any other method. I had a very god relief though for my SA,though it wont do miracles..but it would help.

Thanks
Emma

Best self help that has transformed me is taking hardcore, drastic action, I didnt care about my house, my food, my life, my parents, I just focused on improving myself and it took monstrous effort to overcome it..:)

Zlajo

I have good experience with dr Richard's program for now. I am now on session no. 8. Is it permanent change?

Ken Bandung

Bul****!!!
Recovering from SA means to learn managing it and reduce the symptoms to an acceptable level. But than who is completly anxiety free?
You can spend the rest of your life in your room convincing yourself that you never will get better and than surely you never will. But than what`s the point to live like that?
Or you can go out and challenge your limitations, learn to cope with it and try to enjoy your life in spite of your limitations as much as you can.
Half a year ago I was on SSRI and still having panic attacks.
Today I am not taking any medicine and working full time. Haven`t had a panic attack for months. I still have extrem anxiety in many situations but I feel i slowly get better. I know that i never will be anxiety free but I belive I can learn to manage it and keep it on an acceptable level. I am already having sometimes pretty good days.
If you don`t work on it nothing will be changed. "The word 'succes' only coming from the dictionary without work."
Unfortunatelly we have to work extremly hard to do the same things which others do with ease for granted, but I rather get up to the challenge and sometimes make a fool of myself than hide in my room for the rest of my life.
I know that my SA developed as a result of my style of thinking (pesimistic, self-critical, etc) and my life-style. If I knew 10 years ago what I know today i never get to here. I already discovered a lot of habitual thinking patterns which keeps it going. i hope if I change them one by one than the anxiety will follow.
I experienced much deeper levels than most people here but I already made progress and I am sure I will more.
There are quite a few people who recovered so you can`t say it is impossible.
It`s only impossible if you think that way!

I m very agreed with your statement, in my opinion, we learn to got SA, thats mean we can learn to remove it too...