Best academic subjects for people with SP.

chris11

Hey, I just thought that it would be interesting to see which jobs people think would really suit people who have anxiety, be it SP or something else--and why they think that they would suit such an individual.

Here are mine.

1. Mathematician

While it is often extreemly useful to talk about a possible proof strategy for a particular problem, it is usually the case that most of the work on a problem is done by an individual effort. Thus, people with SP don't have to worry about too many encounters with the 'outside world.' Also, when they do have to interact with other people, the subject of conversation would be about something that they are passionate about.

2. Creative Writer

Similar to the reasons that I mentioned above for mathematician.

sevenroses

I was always good at math and other subjects. I took nursing and kind of excelled but I didn't really do too well when it comes to practicums where you are evaluated by intimidating clinical instructors and have to do a 40 minute presentations. That's why I didn't complete the program. Even in high school I got decent grades but I always get low marks in presentations. I did get the lowest in an impromptu speech :p

Steve23

Yes, I took a handful of psychology courses while in university and found them immensely interesting, practical and informative. I learned a lot about myself, discovering that I wasn't some weirdo but had social anxiety among a host of other things I had become worried about. I'm majoring in environmental sciences as I'm a huge outdoor and nature buff and hope to go into natural resource management or environmental engineering.

goldatom

But unless you go to a good college, academics come to nothing. Then you can't ever hope to earn well or earn at all sitting at your desk and not talking to others. And going to college, even a bad one, is a huge feat for a socialphobe.

Vecis

I finished the history faculty this year. I like the past, and I like to write about it. I got nearly three persons that I constantly spoke to but I think I kind make it quite good. I will be going two more years for Masters degree at history.

EscapeArtist

history, psychology, philosophy, environmental studies, mathematician, creative writer, you guys all read my mind!

SilverFire

I didn't find college so bad, because the amount of order involved helped defray my anxiety about what to say and how to act in social situations. Granted, I didn't socialize a whole lot outside of band (and I could justify socializing there b/c again of shared experiences and the order).

Anyhow, I'd also add one to the writing pool, but with a twist: technical writing. You do have to talk to folks, but chances are they're developers or programmers with social skills worse than yours! And because there's technology involved, you already have something in common. It works for me.

fitftw

Music stuff, automotive stuff. Computer stuff. Anything that someone can do by themselves.

coyote

I got my degree at a Fine Art college - I believe it was a prerequisite for admissions to be at least a little neurotic. The entire student body was moody, dark, withdrawn, and antisocial.