Being startled...

Does anyone else get startled really easily? Over the past few months every little thing makes me jump and it's really embarrassing. It happens constantly all day long like I keep being sucked out of my little dream world and it's making my SA worse...

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Yeah, very often. But more when I'm trying to fall asleep, every single noise can make me jump.

I'm always paying attention to my surroundings, so not too much. Last week, my dog was just staring at me while I was sleeping, and as I woke up and saw her there, I screamed.

lyricalliaisons

I've been like that my whole life. I panic & freak out when I hear a car door, or anything else outside. I was put on medicine about six months ago, though (Klonopin) which helps with that a bit. It doesn't do much else, but it helps with the noises I hear. I don't notice them as easily when on it.

I think for me it's from being on edge constantly for way too many years. it's like i'm constantly trying to prepare myself for that "what if" or thinking that "something's going to happen" that i end up not actually paying attention to what's really around me...if that makes any sense. It started happening after my first bad panic attack though.